Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried the search but couldn’t find anything, even though I’m sure one of you wizards has done this already: I have a 441cm and I want to eliminate the M-Tronic on this particular saw and I’m wondering if it’s just bolting on a new flywheel, ignition, master switch, and carb?

And before we get into an M-Tronic debate, I love my 661cm! It’s more or less an issue with this first generation M-T and the sporadic issues this saw gives (dying, lack of throttle response randomly, low power, etc). Thanks!

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
4:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried the search but couldn’t find anything, even though I’m sure one of you wizards has done this already: I have a 441cm and I want to eliminate the M-Tronic on this particular saw and I’m wondering if it’s just bolting on a new flywheel, ignition, master switch, and carb?

And before we get into an M-Tronic debate, I love my 661cm! It’s more or less an issue with this first generation M-T and the sporadic issues this saw gives (dying, lack of throttle response randomly, low power, etc). Thanks!
Ok so first Stihl sold a package update for the 441C which included the carb,ignition, and switch shaft. So that an option and it will eliminate any running issues of the first generation of M-tronic.
Have you tried a factory reset?
There are case and casting differences as well as all the carb/air box related plastics that make it challenging to swap from carb to M-tronic but it might be much easier to go the other direction.
Still need the right switch shaft,air filter base ,and air box enclosure for adjustable carb.
Theres a couple of well described build threads out there.
The area of the case where the ignition coil sits is different, I have a flywheel side if your interested.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so first Stihl sold a package update for the 441C which included the carb,ignition, and switch shaft. So that an option and it will eliminate any running issues of the first generation of M-tronic.
Have you tried a factory reset?
There are case and casting differences as well as all the carb/air box related plastics that make it challenging to swap from carb to M-tronic but it might be much easier to go the other direction.
Still need the right switch shaft,air filter base ,and air box enclosure for adjustable carb.
Theres a couple of well described build threads out there.
The area of the case where the ignition coil sits is different, I have a flywheel side if your interested.
Thanks for the information. I was not aware of the package update - that might just be a better way to go for ease of repair. I’ll look into that.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
4:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the information. I was not aware of the package update - that might just be a better way to go for ease of repair. I’ll look into that.
I might be able to get part numbers this weekend, all my stuff is packed up right now.