395xp cuts off after pulling out of log

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Recent 394 to 395 conversion. Starts runs cuts great but after a good hard cut when i pull it out of log and let off throttle and as rpms drop it cuts off. It will start right back up but don’t really understand why it cuts off. If i keep throttle to it it keeps running and it idles ok. Does this only after hard long cut and not all the time. It has new 395 walbro carb on it.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could it be leaning it self out after the long cuts? I have heard saws of doing that.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably too rich and idle set too low.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My MS 361 just did this same thing over the weekend when I started it and ran it for the first time on a new piston/rings.. it sounded good in the cut but if I leaned on the saw or let off the throttle abruptly after the cut, it would stall. Pull the rope and fire right up. In my case my saw was running lean on the H screw. Took the H out about 1/8 turn and that cured it - and the saw sounds even better now! In my case, I’m going to tach it and see where I’m at now after setting the rings in, but I hope this helps you.

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My MS 361 just did this same thing over the weekend when I started it and ran it for the first time on a new piston/rings.. it sounded good in the cut but if I leaned on the saw or let off the throttle abruptly after the cut, it would stall. Pull the rope and fire right up. In my case my saw was running lean on the H screw. Took the H out about 1/8 turn and that cured it - and the saw sounds even better now! In my case, I’m going to tach it and see where I’m at now after setting the rings in, but I hope this helps you.

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Loony i do appreciate it !! Can someone fill me in on using tach to adjust for high side ? I have a tach that works with plug wire. Do you run wide open in wood and peak at highest rpm by turning high Jet out to lean ?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Loony i do appreciate it !! Can someone fill me in on using tach to adjust for high side ? I have a tach that works with plug wire. Do you run wide open in wood and peak at highest rpm by turning high Jet out to lean ?
I would stay around 12,500rpm no load max.

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so does turning screw in or clockwise cut back on air and allows more fuel in and less air ? hence richer mixture ? and if turning counter clockwise out allow more air and less fuel leaning mixture ? do i have that right-- for some reason i had it backwards and thats why i never messed with carb until now !!!

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my experiences as a factory trained Silver Level Stihl mechanic, Stihl always provided specific rpm’s to be at during full throttle no-load operation at operating temp. That being said, I always set that rpm at full throttle about 300-400 rpm lower (richer = H screw turned out) due to inconsistency in pump fuels and also some leeway for temperature drops.. That all said, your local Husqvarna dealer, or some of the guys here may know, the exact rpm your saw is supposed to turn - in stock form anyway. Any modification will throw that target rpm out the window...

Last edited:

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want to clarify something: I am not at all trying to brag about my certification, I was simply trying to justify that my knowledge was aquired from the source. I don’t like to brag. Thanks for understanding.