Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
1:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another substitution! OEM #503668404

After buying a brandy new 395 crankcase, I noticed the tank vent tube is not included.

Of note, it is special order, and about $8 .... this is stupid. Its poly tubing, with a coil spring pin, thats it. Its not special. and not worth 100x markup.

SO.....

Mcmaster part # 5958K12 for tubing

and

91598A250 for the coil spring pins ....

BUT!!!!! HELP!!!!! the coil spring pins I got are 1/8" diamter OD... the one from husky is 9/64" OD. I cannot seem to source 9/64" spring pins!!! they are 3/8" long or so ... 3.5mm or 9/64" would work best

1/8" does actually work, but it would be nice to get as close to ideal as possible.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup.... it's a good thought. :)

I'm gonna see if I can find 3.5mm pins bur still...makes sense to use the next size larger.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
long story short, called huyett, they don't actually carry 3.5mm nor can they get it... dunno why its on the site. I have a call into spirol, hopefully they'll have it. turns out, they are here in CT lol

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the lathe is at the folks ... not sure i'd be good at making a spiral pin on a lathe. i certainly could make a piece of tube that was the correct diameter, hmmmmmmm ... nice to buy in though :) probably don't need a spiral pin, just tubing that was the correct diameter...then worst comes to worst I could cut to length on the lathe, and for this application length is not critical

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The pin only holds the tube against the crankcase wall. Since that slot is inside the tube.... no leak unless oil was already inside the tube. The tube outer wall is what seals....to the crankcase.

Oh ...and thanks Deets for reminding me on how I look.

And to answer the question about 30 vs 8$ theres lots of reasons. Mainly availability ...but also that if a roll pin costs 8 cents and a piece of tube is also pennies, then I don't have to pay a 100x markup for a product. If the tube was 50 cent part from husky I wouldn't be searching for alternatives. I'd buy 10 and have spares and they still would be making a 10x markup. Instead I'm looking to save time and aggrivation for everyone especially if I can come up with a simple and cheap solution that's as good or better than the original and has better availability.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn Hooskies!!!

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll put it another way. I just bought an oem husky 346xp ne top end from HL supply. Its beautiful. I don't mind paying a premium price for a premium product. I DO get aggrivated when I pay a premium price for a product I could have made myself for pennies on the dollar. WORSE, this dang tube isn't already installed in new oem cases.. (???) and is special order otherwise. Time is money, plain and simple. If it takes weeks to get a part thats a long time for a saw to be sitting on a shelf. I ordered the tube and roll pins from mcmaster carr and had them 36 hours later.

I may just get those slotted pins and see if they work. I need to find something else to order from mcmaster to make the order worth it......hmmmm

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn Hooskies!!!
Stihl oem parts are worse for price gouging. Dolmar has usually been the most affordable to me for oem parts surprisingly, which is good cause that’s pretty much the only option for them. It sucks that Nate lost his shop, I used him a lot as it was easy to order online and get parts shipped fast.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl oem parts are worse for price gouging. Dolmar has usually been the most affordable to me for oem parts surprisingly, which is good cause that’s pretty much the only option for them. It sucks that Nate lost his shop, I used him a lot as it was easy to order online and get parts shipped fast.

For sure. A rebuild on some Stihl’s is pushing $100 for a gasket set and both bearings. Most expensive husky is a 390 that I’ve done and it was maybe $55 for all of it.

I do get making something if it’s weeks on back order to get a saw back to the woods. But knowing the new cases don’t come with it I’d be ordering 2 just to have if I was running any 395 stuff.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The pin only holds the tube against the crankcase wall. Since that slot is inside the tube.... no leak unless oil was already inside the tube. The tube outer wall is what seals....to the crankcase.
How’s the tube seal against the case gumshoes ? Some mumbojumbodentitemagic ?

If you use a slotted spring pin, it’s going to be leaking when the oil sits on it, whether it’s from a full tank or the saw on the pto side down

DC0F774A-11F2-4D56-8DB8-8F403C34A3A1.jpeg E6C0E3FC-8161-4429-A4A6-DCB480D9ADEE.jpeg

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
12:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How’s the tube seal against the case gumshoes ? Some mumbojumbodentitemagic ?

If you use a slotted spring pin, it’s going to be leaking when the oil sits on it, whether it’s from a full tank or the saw on the pto side down

View attachment 243352 View attachment 243353
The pin is used to enlarge the plastic tube dia to keep in not falling in. From my understanding.
s-l1600 (10).jpg

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For sure. A rebuild on some Stihl’s is pushing $100 for a gasket set and both bearings. Most expensive husky is a 390 that I’ve done and it was maybe $55 for all of it.

I do get making something if it’s weeks on back order to get a saw back to the woods. But knowing the new cases don’t come with it I’d be ordering 2 just to have if I was running any 395 stuff.

That's the thing... you don't necessarily know the part is missing until you are nearly done with the build. Aggrivating. I build so many of these that I'm always ordering these type of little parts and it really adds up if you are doing tons of builds. Nice to keep a roll of tube on hand and a pile of roll pins.

@Moparmyway .... the pin expands the plastic tube to press fit seal against the mag case. The od of the tube seals against the case preventing the oil in there from coming out. @qurotro has it right