High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

372xp xtorq new piston will not start

Socalmisfit

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What’s up guys, I put a new piston and rings in my 372 today and now it won’t start. I checked vacuum no leaks, it was running before, I just didn’t like the compression so I decided to swap it out. There is a bunch of fuel I mean dumping out of the muffler, I don’t get it. If anyone can get me to where this thing will fire I would appreciate it. Oh yes the piston is in the right way arrow to the front, the carb seemed funny before like fuel coming out the back where the filter is. I rebuilt and changed the carb also so I’m lost.

Socalmisfit

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds like the inlet needle isn’t sealing. Lever is too high, diaphragm and gasket in the wrong order, or some crud in the needle not allowing it to seat
On 2 different carbs? Lever is flush to the floor of the carb. Everything is situated just as it says. I put a kit in both carbs cleaned them out good.

Attachments

• A9C8F62C-2A86-4CE7-B34D-894A1B663604.jpeg
    A9C8F62C-2A86-4CE7-B34D-894A1B663604.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 26

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
6:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On 2 different carbs? Lever is flush to the floor of the carb. Everything is situated just as it says. I put a kit in both carbs cleaned them out good.
Not certain. But if fuel was coming in to the carburetor and flooding it without you choking and pulling it, it’s coming through that needle

Socalmisfit

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not certain. But if fuel was coming in to the carburetor and flooding it without you choking and pulling it, it’s coming through that needle
I’m pulling it trying to start it, it just won’t fire and is flooded crazy.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m pulling it trying to start it, it just won’t fire and is flooded crazy.

Pinch the fuel line off, rope it over a half dozen times with the plug out (kill switch off) and then add a couple drops of oil to the cyl before putting the plug back in. Rope it like you have a pair no decomp, no choke. Wide open (no bar & chain) if possible.

That's what work for me.

Steven

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d pull the plug and tip it over upside down on the bench and pull it over a dozen times to try and get most of the fuel out. Put in a fresh plug, hold it wide-open with no choke and start pulling

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
10:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Holy F*. And I though I used voodoo

May very well be your coil
They do that all the time.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you check to see if you have spark? New plug?

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
10:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Did you check to see if you have spark? New plug?
haha..sometimes the simple things can be overlooked.
How many of us have yanked on a saw without fuel,,then raise your hand. I don't have enough hands to represent my idiotic behaviour. In fairness I'm usually mentally thrashed.
No excuse though.

There is a good reason we are not allowed to work over 6 1/2 hours in BC. Perhaps it's the physicality of the job which mentality breaks you down.
Literally, the brain can not keep up at the end of the day. It's generally not an energy zap that causes 'mess ups' To be politically correct here, there is very little that is classified as an accident.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It has spark, everything is there for the magic to happen. Maybe it don’t like the new piston :( Idk. Maybe I’ll hook it up to the truck and try to drag it down the road and pull start it that way ;)
Pull the plug
drain the tank if you don't
Plug the fuel line.
pull with throttle WFO

Socalmisfit

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Make sure the video camera is rolling when you try your new starting method. I’d love to see it. Lol
Was thinking I can get the rear tires off the ground, get them spinning fast enough to engage the clutch on the saw and hopefully it will get it to go. Like a bump start on an Rc car ;) I’ll probably use the pull start method after I tug on this thing for another couple hrs like yesterday. Tug for 10 min pull it apart, tug for 10 min rebuild the carb, tug for 20 min shed a tear check vacuum again. :( The joys of playing with chainsaws.

Socalmisfit

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Pull the plug
drain the tank if you don't
Plug the fuel line.
pull with throttle WFO
She’s been sitting over night now, I’ll let her sit in the sun for an hr when it gets up to 50 degrees today so she can feel comfortable. Pull the plug get whatever wants to come out, out, then try her again. Or run the heater in the shop to get her feeling good. Maybe I messed up the piston, I did go over the sharp edges with some 600 paper. If all else fails I’ll throw the old piston back in and try again, RESTART :crybaby2:

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She’s been sitting over night now, I’ll let her sit in the sun for an hr when it gets up to 50 degrees today so she can feel comfortable. Pull the plug get whatever wants to come out, out, then try her again. Or run the heater in the shop to get her feeling good. Maybe I messed up the piston, I did go over the sharp edges with some 600 paper. If all else fails I’ll throw the old piston back in and try again, RESTART :crybaby2:
Pull the muffler and take a pic

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's flooding, it's carb issue as others have stated. Did you put spacer gasket then diaphragm. I would revisit that carb first, fuel has to get past that needle to be flooding. If muffler is blocked, fuel will spit back through carb. Rings on piston do the sealing, not piston sharp edges, as long as you did not put it in backwards and you have compression, would not be looking at that.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It has spark, everything is there for the magic to happen. Maybe it don’t like the new piston :( Idk. Maybe I’ll hook it up to the truck and try to drag it down the road and pull start it that way ;)

Did you have the flywheel off at any time? My go to with these problems if it isn't the carb or fuel system is usually the flywheel. Increased compression + loose nut=no starty. If the flywheel key is in the right spot may be coil.

M2theB

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

not sure what the RWJ carb is, but the WJ isn’t flush. It’s down below the carb body plane by Walbro metering set tool.