HUSQVARNA 372 xt p & c...

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So my 372 xt needs a new piston and cylinder kit. Ideally I'd like to repair the saw and use it unless it is crazy expensive to repair. What do you recommend? And, what are the chances that I can do the job myself and it turn out well? I'm not a small engine guy at all but I'm a quick learner and like to tinker on things. I'm in the Charlotte, NC area if anyone is interested in a joint project...

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
10:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Replacing the top end shouldn't be too bad, on a pro saw it's pretty simple. First I'd recommend pulling the wrap handle and top cover/filter cover off and then clean the saw thoroughly. Once it's clean, just unbolt the muffler, undo the intake boot clamp, pull the 4 cylinder screws and the cylinder should come right off. Once that's done just pull the circlips out of the piston, press the pin out and then reverse the process with the new parts!

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have many choices of top ends and aftermarket options as well.
There are literally hundreds of videos on YouTube of that model being rebuilt bolt by bolt to more advanced modifications.
I'd suggest that you invest in some snacks and start watching before you tear into it.
As always try to determine what the cause was that smoked the original piston and cylinder.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So my 372 xt needs a new piston and cylinder kit. Ideally I'd like to repair the saw and use it unless it is crazy expensive to repair. What do you recommend? And, what are the chances that I can do the job myself and it turn out well? I'm not a small engine guy at all but I'm a quick learner and like to tinker on things. I'm in the Charlotte, NC area if anyone is interested in a joint project...
Also you should figure out what happened with the old cylinder, you don't want to put a new one on and have the same thing happen again.

Last edited:

Gord

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seals and possibly bearings maybe why that saw was taken a turn for the worst, I have rebuilt a lot of 372's and find that is quite often the case especially the clutch side.

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Gord. Is it worth replacing the p&c on my 372 and keeping it or should I just try to sell it as a parts saw? Everything else is good on the saw. I know it's ultimately my decision but would love to have your honest cost vs reward opinion. Thanks, Steve.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Gord

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Gord. Is it worth replacing the p&c on my 372 and keeping it or should I just try to sell it as a parts saw? Everything else is good on the saw. I know it's ultimately my decision but would love to have your honest cost vs reward opinion. Thanks, Steve.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Well it all depends on weather you want to learn how to rebuild a saw - I find these are one of the easiest to learn on with lots of info on them and parts available, I buy a lot of these when I can get them and Do the rebuilds and send them back out, but the I have the tooling and parts plus experience. If your hearts in it go for it if not just sell it and don't use junk parts if you want it to last... and find out what killed it in the first place.