.325 Long Bar

Stirlinghart

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For falling, bucking and processing small diameter timber on the west coast (land clearing more so than logging) I prefer to use a ported Stihl 261 in place of my 461/500i. The production that I lose in power, I gain back at the end of the day because the saw is much lighter and easier on the body to run all day.

The best set up I’ve found so far is to run a skip tooth 3/8 28” Stihl Light Bar with square ground chain. You do lose quite a bit of chain speed by running the 3/8 instead of .325.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to set up a 28”-32” .325 light bar. I’m not sure if there is a way you can just replace the nose sprocket on 3/8 bar. I know cannon has a lightweight 24” .325 bar but it’s still a bit short for limbing all day when you need to walk the log to do so.

- I know I could harden up and run a larger saw
- I know I could walk beside the log to limb and use a shorter bar

Just wondering if this is something that can be done as I can’t seem to find any info online or chatting to other cutters.

Thanks!

Stirling Hart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know on Oregon bars you can just change the tip out on the "Power match/cut" bars.
If you can get a sprocket nose for an es bar in .325 its do able.
I do it for .3/8ths to .404 all the time.

Stirlinghart

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know on Oregon bars you can just change the tip out on the "Power match/cut" bars.
If you can get a sprocket nose for an es bar in .325 its do able.
I do it for .3/8ths to .404 all the time.

I wondered about that but it looks like the .325 noses are smaller than the 3/8. I could be wrong though

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
3:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome to OPEforum!

Have you considered just changing out the drive sprocket on the saw to increase the 3/8 pitch chain speed, if everything else is OK with you?

Philbert

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
8:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I,m wondering if you can make the change to a 3/8 lopro the 261 uses the same bar mount all the way up to the 660.
Also stihl sell the performance kit for the 261 aka a 3/8 lopro clutch/sprocket and a bar with chain albeit shorter than you want.

Therefore I think it could be done, at a cost thou. As for the chain and staying sharp idk. But I think you'd get the chain speed as it’s smaller than .325

I know you can get some big bars in 3/8 lopro 0.50 (1.3)
How does this sound

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
1:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Benwa runs and likes low pro on long bars up in the PNW.

I maybe be adapting a larger tip to a smaller bar myself, if you find you want or need to try that, let me know.

Stirlinghart

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I,m wondering if you can make the change to a 3/8 lopro the 261 uses the same bar mount all the way up to the 660.
Also stihl sell the performance kit for the 261 aka a 3/8 lopro clutch/sprocket and a bar with chain albeit shorter than you want.

Therefore I think it could be done, at a cost thou. As for the chain and staying sharp idk. But I think you'd get the chain speed as it’s smaller than .325

I know you can get some big bars in 3/8 lopro 0.50 (1.3)
How does this sound

I never thought about LP. That’s the same chain that I run on my 201tc I believe. Does the 3/8 LP require a different sprocket or nose tip that 3/8?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes the sprockets & noses are different, the reason why is the pitch is the same but the DL are a bit smaller so would slop around.

but maybe someone else could chime in and help. @davidwyby

edit I know people have experimented a bit, i beleave the clutch sprocket is a must, otherwise your chain will end up breaking. The nose I’m not so sure about

Last edited:

Benwa

I love the smell of premix in the morning
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never thought about LP. That’s the same chain that I run on my 201tc I believe. Does the 3/8 LP require a different sprocket or nose tip that 3/8?

Yes, 3/8 LP or Picco as Stihl calls it, is what comes stock on the 201T. 3/8 LP chain requires a bar with a different sprocket nose, the drive sprocket is also different than regular 3/8 pitch chain. They are the same chain pitch, but the chassis & drivers themselves are much smaller. You can get away with running 3/8 LP on a standard 3/8 drive sprocket in a pinch, but it's really not a proper fitment. I run a 24" cannon super mini on a ported 026 for the exact reason you stated....... and I love it! I grab it all the time, it's so light and capable. If you end up running 3/8LP the best chain I've found is Stihl PS. It's the same as their PS3 full chisel chain, but without the safety bumpers. Hard to find online, but my local Woods logging supply carries it. This is a good deal if you need everything, otherwise you can buy the parts individually. Here's a link for the kit (bar, clutch drum, rim sprocket, & chain)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Piltz-28-i...832680?hash=item3f3b7aa3a8:g:oIIAAOxydB1SgSXs

Here's the bar and rim drive separately.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-THIN...348723?hash=item540e21cbb3:g:YvwAAMXQA51RFrB6

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Stihl-...546786&hash=item288f7e820d:g:U4AAAOSwsW9Y4Gi3

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, 3/8 LP or Picco as Stihl calls it, is what comes stock on the 201T. 3/8 LP chain requires a bar with a different sprocket nose, the drive sprocket is also different than regular 3/8 pitch chain. They are the same chain pitch, but the chassis & drivers themselves are much smaller. You can get away with running 3/8 LP on a standard 3/8 drive sprocket in a pinch, but it's really not a proper fitment. I run a 24" cannon super mini on a ported 026 for the exact reason you stated....... and I love it! I grab it all the time, it's so light and capable. If you end up running 3/8LP the best chain I've found is Stihl PS. It's the same as their PS3 full chisel chain, but without the safety bumpers. Hard to find online, but my local Woods logging supply carries it. This is a good deal if you need everything, otherwise you can buy the parts individually. Here's a link for the kit (bar, clutch drum, rim sprocket, & chain)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Piltz-28-i...832680?hash=item3f3b7aa3a8:g:oIIAAOxydB1SgSXs

Here's the bar and rim drive separately.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-THIN...348723?hash=item540e21cbb3:g:YvwAAMXQA51RFrB6

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Stihl-...546786&hash=item288f7e820d:g:U4AAAOSwsW9Y4Gi3

Woods Logging Longview or Woods Logging Sedro?

Benwa

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Woods Logging Longview or Woods Logging Sedro?

In Sedro Woolley, but I'm sure Longview would carry it too.

Stirlinghart

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update.

In the meantime I’ve managed to use 3/8 LP on my 3/8 bar. Cutting efficiency is improved. Saw has a bit more torque. The low pro rakers work with the sprockets but because they are a bit smaller the chain is prone to popping off quite a bit easier if you are not square with your cuts.
Bill challenger from Cannon bar contacted me the other day. The factory is just down the road from me here so he invited me to come check it out and they are going to punch out some .325 28” and 32” inch Dura light bars for me to try.
Does anyone make a .325 skip tooth chain?

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update.

In the meantime I’ve managed to use 3/8 LP on my 3/8 bar. Cutting efficiency is improved. Saw has a bit more torque. The low pro rakers work with the sprockets but because they are a bit smaller the chain is prone to popping off quite a bit easier if you are not square with your cuts.
Bill challenger from Cannon bar contacted me the other day. The factory is just down the road from me here so he invited me to come check it out and they are going to punch out some .325 28” and 32” inch Dura light bars for me to try.

I knew I had seen .325 skip chain on eBay before:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Reel-32...362424?hash=item28a8f5a3f8:g:yvQAAOSwMAhgJIie

Probably not the highest quality chain, but worth a shot if you want to try it out.

Benwa

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update.

That's pretty dang awesome of them. Doesn't get much better than that! Too cool! I know that Carleton used to make .325 skip not sure if it's still out there or not. Forester makes some, I believe Archer makes some, & bailey's makes the WoodlandPRO 20RCS. Of the "cheap chains" I've had decent luck with the forester chain construction, but I've only used it in regular .375 pitch for milling.

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update.

That’s personal service, and very good customer service all at the same time.. well done to yourself :campeon: And brilliant service from cannon.