288xp

RoyleRobinWood1

Active OPE Member
Local time
3:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need help with mounting the worm gear on to the oil pump . I have read the shop and service manual and from what i have read . It states that once the oil pump and seal have been assembled the worm gear is supposed to thread into the oil pump like a 394 does , but when i attempt to screw it on it wont go down and seat square on to the oil pump seat

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
6:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We're probably going to need some pictures to see what's going on. There are two styles of worm gears for the 288.

The old system is a gear with an external seal on a steel lip that is pressed into the pump housing.

The new system is the black gear with the integrated dust shield (same as 394/5) that you have to remove the steel lip that is pressed into the pump housing to use.

RoyleRobinWood1

Active OPE Member
Local time
3:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok , i figured this out by looking up numbers and stumbling upon a picture of a 181 worm gear ... i then modified the new worm gear by cutting off the outer most forward washer like face back to the inner face of the worm gear . Then i deepened the groves of the threads and it plopped right in , then i used the cut off washer looking peice to go between the clutch drive sprocket and the worm gear . Basically like what is on the i.p.l for the husqvarna 181 . I also tried to upload pics but the TapTalk app wants me to pay $ to do so. Also the pic's won't upload cuz the site says im not a member ? Which i thought i was but its OK . I think i fixed this problem for now . Thank you

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk