breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone involved in .22 rimfire competition?
I am looking to get started and have been researching different bolt action rifles.
Looking for your thoughts and experience...

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
which type of competition? in door outdoor, long range, silly wet, 3/4 position (Olympic style) bench rest, couple others. equipment rules vary a bit between them. Plenty of experience here ( more than 45 years)in all of the above plus Hi Power( centerfire) as well as black powder both front stuffers and cartridge. likely best to PM for Phone to call me.

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Outdoor. I am experienced out to 200 yards with my 30+ year old Winchester model 190.
I have been watching a few sites on .22 competitions and am very interested in getting started.
Would really like to keep the rifle budget below $1000 if I could

I have been looking at:
Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle - Model 8400
CZ 457 AT-ONE VARMINT 22LR 24-INCHES 5RDS SUPPRESSOR-READY

Last edited:

N8TE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Outdoor. I am experienced out to 200 yards with my 30+ year old Winchester model 190.
I have been watching a few sites on .22 competitions and am very interested in getting started.
Would really like to keep the rifle budget below $1000 if I could

I have been looking at:
Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle - Model 8400
CZ 457 AT-ONE VARMINT 22LR 24-INCHES 5RDS SUPPRESSOR-READY
The RPR's are hit and miss as far as getting one that shoots. CZ is a safe bet. Another very good option is the Bergara B14R. It a very accurate, well made rifle. It can be had with a threaded steel or carbon fiber barrel and will accept Remington 700 accessories.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
9:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Another option is a nice used Kimber 84g or Anschutz MPR rifle with 64 action. I competed in 100 yard egg shoots with a Remington 513 match master and customized CZ455. Hard to compete with the sea of Anschutz and Kimbers with those. I moved to center fire till I feel like a $$$$ 22 rifle.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For getting started out a Savage Mark I FVT would be a good way to go, especially if you're not 100% sure about it yet. Comes already set up with a target peep sight.
I used to shoot mini palma with an old Savage/Anschutz and fed it some German made RWS match ammo. In still air it shot amazingly well. If the wind blew it shot as good as my old guesseroo could do. Whatever you get try all the different ammo you can get your hands on until you find a standout that your gun likes. There's a number of folks making good stuff out there, Eley, Wolf, GECO, RWS, Lapua and Federal are some off the top of my head.
Good luck and more importantly, have fun!

Slotracer577

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably not in the price range you want, but anschutz is a great rifle. Having shot a few 54’s, i am not sure there could be a better 22 rifle. Would really like one of their biathlon rifles, but a bit too speedy just to have one.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
For getting started out a Savage Mark I FVT would be a good way to go, especially if you're not 100% sure about it yet. Comes already set up with a target peep sight.
I used to shoot mini palma with an old Savage/Anschutz and fed it some German made RWS match ammo. In still air it shot amazingly well. If the wind blew it shot as good as my old guesseroo could do. Whatever you get try all the different ammo you can get your hands on until you find a standout that your gun likes. There's a number of folks making good stuff out there, Eley, Wolf, GECO, RWS, Lapua and Federal are some off the top of my head.
Good luck and more importantly, have fun!
I've had one of the Savage / Anschutz rifles. Accurate rig once I found the ammo it likes, like every 22lr. I wish I had kept it.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had one of the Savage / Anschutz rifles. Accurate rig once I found the ammo it likes, like every 22lr. I wish I had kept it.
Ammo choice is the variable that a lot of shooters never consider. They assume that a good quality rifle will shoot any .22 ammo accurately.
I have a Kimber 82G that a guy sold, at a good price, because he couldn't get it to shoot for $hit with any HV bulk pack ammo. It shoots SK Std+ just fine.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ammo choice is the variable that a lot of shooters never consider. They assume that a good quality rifle will shoot any .22 ammo accurately.
I have a Kimber 82G that a guy sold, at a good price, because he couldn't get it to shoot for $hit with any HV bulk pack ammo. It shoots SK Std+ just fine.
100% correct. 22 rifles are finicky. Some guys will go through 1000's of rounds find its fav then buy 5-10,000 rounds of the same lot number. I don't want to put that kind of effort into serious rim fire competition. I stick to 200 and 300 yard center fire.....for now. Kinda eyeing a Kidd Supergrade.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
100% correct. 22 rifles are finicky. Some guys will go through 1000's of rounds find its fav then buy 5-10,000 rounds of the same lot number. I don't want to put that kind of effort into serious rim fire competition. I stick to 200 and 300 yard center fire.....for now. Kinda eyeing a Kidd Supergrade.

If you're going to get a 10/22, Kidd seems to be the one to get.
I've never heard anything bad about a Kidd.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you're going to get a 10/22, Kidd seems to be the one to get.
I've never heard anything bad about a Kidd.
That is what my research has told me. I've built a couple 10/22 target rifles with various parts and had a Volquartzen in 17 hmr. Fun and pretty accurate, the triggers were always less than stellar. Kidd has that handled.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is what my research has told me. I've built a couple 10/22 target rifles with various parts and had a Volquartzen in 17 hmr. Fun and pretty accurate, the triggers were always less than stellar. Kidd has that handled.
I built one last year. Used a Douglas barrel, JWH bolt and a BX trigger. The BX is lighter than the stock trigger but still has that spongy feel.
I'll end up with a Kidd in it, at some point.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While not competition rifles, I have sporters in an Anshutz 1710, Winchester 52, and Remington 541. When I did my part I could keep 100 shots, of non-match ammo my guns liked, in a dime paster at 50 yards and 1 inch 100 yard 3 shot groups. Again, thats when I was on with stock sporters 15 years ago using 6× Leopold scopes.

If you can find a Remington 40XR or a Cooper arms, those are great as well. Some competitors invest in rim thickness gauges and some matches are shot late night or early morning when the wind is more favorable as I understand.

stevegodseyjr

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Coopers are awesome guns but they are very salty on the prices.