2011 sierra fuel guage not reading accurate

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
10:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have a fuel guage reading isue. Mine started last week. While truck is running i get a false reading. If i turn off and turn ignition on it reads propper. Soon as i fire it up its false.
I got a video on utube but cant figure how to get a link here with my phone.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have a fuel guage reading isue. Mine started last week. While truck is running i get a false reading. If i turn off and turn ignition on it reads propper. Soon as i fire it up its false.
I got a video on utube but cant figure how to get a link here with my phone.

To get the link, go to you youtube app. Hit the share button and when the choices pop up on how to do it, hit "copy link" then paste it here in the thread. Or you could choose email. Let it open in an email then cut the link oit of the email and post here. The first way is the fastest.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
May just be the sending unit is fubared. It is an electronic device which does wear out or bad from the start.

Not saying this is the case but would be my first place to look.

It would require pulling the tank and probably doing some tests on the sending unit with a multi meter and manipulating the float? This may be all wrong but just how i would think i would go about it.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
9:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty much what was said above.

The ECM sends a voltage reference to the sending unit, which is nothing more than a variable resistor. Based off the return voltage the ECM calculates fuel level. That is then sent to the IPC over data lines.

Those year trucks had issues with wires down the frame rail, connector under the underhood fuse block. Also replaced a few ECM's level sensors and clusters along the way too.
A mulitmeter will for sure be needed and a signal generator is required to check the cluster.

Pm me with the vin #, I can get you a wiring schematic and see if we can get this fixed.
Also, see if you can get the ecm and ipc checked for codes.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
May just be the sending unit is fubared. It is an electronic device which does wear out or bad from the start.

Not saying this is the case but would be my first place to look.

It would require pulling the tank and probably doing some tests on the sending unit with a multi meter and manipulating the float? This may be all wrong but just how i would think i would go about it.
I thought maybe sending unit too. But was puzzled with different reading of engine on or off

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check also under the fuse box under the hood for any wiring damage, mice love to get under there for some reason.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

So what is causing it?
Bad ground?

And that truck gives you a weather report now.
F that lol.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what is causing it?
Bad ground?

And that truck gives you a weather report now.
F that lol.

Hell Wayne, the new ones now talk to each other. I know Cadillac has it. Not sure what else.
Say 2 vehicles that have it are within range of each other and cruisin down the road. Car up front slips, slides and jives, and it sends a message to car #2.
Car #2 will then alert the driver with messages that the road ahead is slippery.

Probably why they dont let me program it.
Message would read. "Get ready to crash".

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We don't have that yet in the Chevy's or GMC's. Sounds like a nightmare if they mess up. I'm gonna dread it when we start having problems with the new 2019 models, something new to learn on taking dash parts off. Just PDI'd a 19 Silverado with the 2.7 engine, has no guts and noisy. Can't wait to see someone complain about the power while trying to towing a camper.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk