2 in 1 not hitting rakers?

kielbasa

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi guys, I just purchased a new Stihl 2 in 1 to do my .325 chains on my 026....anyways, I sharpened 3 different chains tonite (2 Carlton non safety semi chisel and 1 Stihl safety semi chisel). All chains have a 2~3 tanks thru them and are being sharpened for the first time. The 2 in 1 raker file is not even close, eyeballing I'm guessing the file is .020" above the rakers. Does this seem correct??? Everything I've read about these 2 in 1's is that they are way aggressive on the rakers. Or is it because these are fairly new chains yet and that is the reason for the gap?
The reason I question this is because I used my buddy's Husqvarna file (similar to the 2 in 1 except only has one round file, gotta switch the file over when doing opposite teeth) and that raker file is already kissing the rakers on my almost new 3/8's chains that I have on my 361.....Thanks for any input!!

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make sure you have the correct 2-1, I got one that was a gift, the outside said 3/8” but it was marked on the 2-1 itself as a .404”. Sometimes .325 semi-chisel can be a PIA.

2-1’s can make your chains a bit aggressive if you get heavy handed when using them.

kielbasa

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yes, it's marked .325, the file diameter is correct, but the flat file is nowhere near the raker, i even had my brother and friend verify - and yes, there's gotta be at least a 20 thou gap.....no adjustments or way to install the file any differently that i can see - i don't know what to think....

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yes, it's marked .325, the file diameter is correct, but the flat file is nowhere near the raker, i even had my brother and friend verify - and yes, there's gotta be at least a 20 thou gap.....no adjustments or way to install the file any differently that i can see - i don't know what to think....
Have you checked the raker height in your chains, maybe they were low from the factory. Odd but possible. I have used 3/8”, 3/8”LP & .325” on several different chains & never had a problem

kielbasa

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
no, that is actually my next step, but to be low on 3 different chains, and by that much??? now the interesting thing is, i just borrowed a .325 chisel (almost new) from the neighbor to check, MUCH closer, but I would say still a 5 thou gap....i'm beginning to think this tool is geared towards a chisel chain? if that is indeed the case, stihl should specify what chains this is meant for before they sucker people like me to spend ~$40 on this tool....

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used mine on semi-chisel & full chisel, low kickback & “professional” chain; I don’t ever remember any problems like that. I don’t have any new semi-chisel chain to measure raker height. I would think if the rakers were that much too low the chains would be awful grabby.

darkimpulse

Firewood Hack
Local time
1:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
94683E00-8337-45A9-9F1D-C4332AE74D4B.jpeg Just got this in the mail today, when I get my .325 saw back I'll let you know if I have any problems