1911 45 acp

ramrat

Circle T Outdoor Services
Local time
5:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking for a 1911.I have been looking at the Rock Island arsenal 1911. There are a few other models out there. What do you guy like and have. I would like to spend under a grand guys. Thanks

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking for a 1911.I have been looking at the Rock Island arsenal 1911. There are a few other models out there. What do you guy like and have. I would like to spend under a grand guys. Thanks
Everyone has their preference
Personally
In the ones I've shot.
I really like the sds tisas duty 1911s
Check them out.
I'm trying to find a commander version.
Apparently everyone else is too.IMG_20201028_165650.jpgIMG_20201028_171351.jpg
The rock island are good
I've shot several.
And several ruger 1911s I really like thier commander version.
Actually all the modern 1911s built on modern cnc machines seem to be
Reliable.
My springfield and kimber have been good and some of my friends bought the
Magnum research 1911s
Budget competition guns very well made they tell me.
But for 300.00 less I'm liking my sds
I almost bought a GI tanker version the other day 389.00 the full-size GI 420.00

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only have my series 70 and it's probably the only one I'll ever have. Unless I come across something used.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me too. Mine was $475 at a gun show years back.
My cousin when his town found out he was
Going to go to vietnam.
He'd already served in korea
The town bought him a high polished blue
Colt 1911 he carried it through
His service in the marines in vietnam
Until his retirement in the 90s.
He had me try it out and clean it
It was still extremely accurate.
He'd bought another one in vietnam
And had it hard chromed
Someone stole it out of his
Chest when he was leaving vietnam.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@ramrat Lee...many damn good series 70 1911’s out there today by many more mfg’s than there ever used to be. And plenty of mfg’s models that are below your $1K ceiling. Rock Island’s are good...I’m a little suspect with a few of their lower end models that I’ve personally shot, but overall they’re well built 1911’s. I prefer Springfield and Kimber, which happens to be most all of mine. But Ruger, S&W, Magnum Research, Remington, etc make good 1911’s as well. It’s really what may feel best in your hands, 5” bbl full-size, 4”/ 4.5” bbl carry option. All 1911’s are not created equal that’s for sure.

I know that don’t narrow down the field of suspects much...bottom line, you don’t have to spend $2-3K Dan Wesson money to end up with a damn good 1911.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@ramrat Lee...many damn good series 70 1911’s out there today by many more mfg’s than there ever used to be. And plenty of mfg’s models that are below your $1K ceiling. Rock Island’s are good...I’m a little suspect with a few of their lower end models that I’ve personally shot, but overall they’re well built 1911’s. I prefer Springfield and Kimber, which happens to be most all of mine. But Ruger, S&W, Magnum Research, Remington, etc make good 1911’s as well. It’s really what may feel best in your hands, 5” bbl full-size, 4”/ 4.5” bbl carry option. All 1911’s are not created equal that’s for sure.

I know that don’t narrow down the field of suspects much...bottom line, you don’t have to spend $2-3K Dan Wesson money to end up with a damn good 1911.
He can just buy one of each.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's what I currently have.
The second one down on the left side is a Charles Daly, same gun as a Rock Island. It wasn't much money and came well set up. I don't have any complaints at all. I've had it for a long time and don't see a reason to part with it. Very decent gun for the money.
I have two Kimbers. Both have reliability issues but when they work properly are a joy to shoot.
The two Rugers are good guns. Decent triggers and dead nuts reliable.
The Taurus is another good gun for the money but for some reason, Taurus uses some slightly different dimensioned parts, so not all 1911 parts fit.
My favorite is the series 70 Colt Gold Cup. It has the best trigger and is a joy to shoot.
Springfield Armory makes some nice 1911's as well. I've never owned one but have shot several and liked them all.
I've had a couple of Para's but ended up getting rid of them. They had FTF issues.
The Rock Island guns have always been a good value.
As @Czed said, the 1911's coming out of Turkey are really good guns for the money. I certainly wouldn't feel cheated, if I owned one.

With the exception of the two Rugers, all of the guns, in the pic, were purchased used.
The only one that was over $1K, was the Kimber Super Match and it wasn't worth the money.
Be sure to let us know what you end up getting.

Left, T-B. Right,T-B
Colt Gold Cup. Ruger-45acp
Charles Daly Ruger-10mm
Kimber Super Match. Kimber Gold Match
Taurus

image.jpeg

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Couldn't agree more!

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everyone has their preference
Personally
In the ones I've shot.
I really like the sds tisas duty 1911s
Check them out.
I'm trying to find a commander version.
Apparently everyone else is too.View attachment 288814View attachment 288815
The rock island are good
I've shot several.
And several ruger 1911s I really like thier commander version.
Actually all the modern 1911s built on modern cnc machines seem to be
Reliable.
My springfield and kimber have been good and some of my friends bought the
Magnum research 1911s
Budget competition guns very well made they tell me.
But for 300.00 less I'm liking my sds
I almost bought a GI tanker version the other day 389.00 the full-size GI 420.00
Couple of buddy’s of mine have these .45’s...decent factory triggers, pretty damn accurate, and have cycled any and all ammo I’ve seen thrown at ‘em.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's what I currently have.
The second one down on the left side is a Charles Daly, same gun as a Rock Island. It wasn't much money and came well set up. I don't have any complaints at all. I've had it for a long time and don't see a reason to part with it. Very decent gun for the money.
I have two Kimbers. Both have reliability issues but when they work properly are a joy to shoot.
The two Rugers are good guns. Decent triggers and dead nuts reliable.
The Taurus is another good gun for the money but for some reason, Taurus uses some slightly different dimensioned parts, so not all 1911 parts fit.
My favorite is the series 70 Colt Gold Cup. It has the best trigger and is a joy to shoot.
Springfield Armory makes some nice 1911's as well. I've never owned one but have shot several and liked them all.
I've had a couple of Para's but ended up getting rid of them. They had FTF issues.
The Rock Island guns have always been a good value.
As @Czed said, the 1911's coming out of Turkey are really good guns for the money. I certainly wouldn't feel cheated, if I owned one.

With the exception of the two Rugers, all of the guns, in the pic, were purchased used.
The only one that was over $1K, was the Kimber Super Match and it wasn't worth the money.
Be sure to let us know what you end up getting.

Left, T-B. Right,T-B
Colt Gold Cup. Ruger-45acp
Charles Daly Ruger-10mm
Kimber Super Match. Kimber Gold Match
Taurus

View attachment 288818
I have many kimber stories lol
My very early custom was bought in 96
Excellent pistol never a failure.
But when I picked it up the recoil spring was badly crimped and unusable from assembly
At the factory.
I contacted kimber for a spring
They said I sabotaged the pistol
Wanting free parts?
A 4.00 spring so *f-word them I'll never buy another kimber.
A local guy had his breech face start to cave in and the rails splayed out after a couple hundred rounds.
The slide was butter soft not hardened
It was his fault kimber said
Overpressure white box winchester.
A lot of reliability issues with the external extractor versions.
Just check out facebook kimber page lol
I really don't know why they can't get their act together.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have many kimber stories lol
My very early custom was bought in 96
Excellent pistol never a failure.
But when I picked it up the recoil spring was badly crimped and unusable from assembly
At the factory.
I contacted kimber for a spring
They said I sabotaged the pistol
Wanting free parts?
A 4.00 spring so *f-word them I'll never buy another kimber.
A local guy had his breech face start to cave in and the rails splayed out after a couple hundred rounds.
The slide was butter soft not hardened
It was his fault kimber said
Overpressure white box winchester.
A lot of reliability issues with the external extractor versions.
Just check out facebook kimber page lol
I really don't know why they can't get their act together.
All mfg’s have gone through these stages. There ain’t a single one I’m aware of that hasn’t had their share of problems. And Cust Svc always blames the owner...most all Cust Svc out there today are like big turds in a punch bowl anymore.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a series 70 gold cup national match and a pre A1. My son has a rock islamd 45. The rock island is average. Has decent fit and finish and the trigger is average. To me a good gun for the money. Definately a shooter and not a collector.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sky is the limit on 1911 options and even higher on opinions.

I've gotten back into the game a bit and I really enjoy shooting a kimber custom 2 and a para ordnance hi cap. Also have a Springfield GI clone and it's ok but the other two have much better features. But for the uber cheap price I couldn't pass it up. And I'm glad I didn't.

I know about the bad rep kimber and para have. And I'm fine with that. I bought them both used and figured I'd roll the dice. Again for the price I didn't care much. I knew the kimber had a issue when I bought it. The previous owner was a tech nut and over thought it. He had a comp, recoil buffer and trimmed recoil spring. Cycled like chit. A new spring and ditching the other crap has been flawless and a blast to shoot.

The para and the Springfield haven't had a issue at all.

Thr kimber by far has the best trigger very clean and crisp about 3.5-4 lb if I had to guess. The para isn't far behind just a touch heavier but very crisp. Neither have any measurable creep or over travel. The Springfield feels like it is full of sand feels like 10lb pull and over travels a mile..... But it goes bang every time and is very consistent. It's actually my favorite practicing shoot and move because of the heavy trigger. Not the best standing and shooting a paper target. But run from a barricade and pop two rounds at a steel plate and run to another pop two more and move again. It just doesn't skip a beat. And almost zero chance of doing a accidental double tap.

Depending on your area you can probably get one well under your budget of a grand. I don't have much more than that in all three of mine.

Steven

Edit: Mags......... Don't cheap out on mags. I didn't sell any of my mags off when I got out so I'm still using some Chip McCormick shooting star 8rnd and Wilson Combat 10rnd mags. One thing you want to watch carefully are the mags. They cause most headaches in a 1911

Last edited:

ramrat

Circle T Outdoor Services
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys. You gave me some stuff to think about. Going to see what the kinda local pawn shop has for used in stock. He is always looking for chains saws to sell at his store.

crowslayer17

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Sig Nightmare that I really like. Shoots good and no issues. I've also shot Springfield, Colt, Kimber, Ruger, and Taurus. I have seen issues with two Rugers where the magazine would get stuck in the gun. They weren't mine so I'm not sure if it was the gun or magazine, but both were using the factory Ruger magazines.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Edit: Mags......... Don't cheap out on mags. I didn't sell any of my mags off when I got out so I'm still using some Chip McCormick shooting star 8rnd and Wilson Combat 10rnd mags. One thing you want to watch carefully are the mags. They cause most headaches in a 1911

Best advice so far!