181 se squash * Bonus husqvarna girl pic

Huskygasaxe

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
just checked my 181 se out for piston clearance to see if I could delete the gasket. I got several readings. Without the gasket it is sitting at 0.0400 inch. I am just wondering if that seems normal on this series? With a gasket that’s 60 thou clearance. It seems excessive to me? Thanks for the input.

043D032D-BE54-4A15-94B6-626225CC67FB.jpeg 19BEACBA-5C00-4941-B2E6-8AC2D0AD35D3.png

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would You be so kind to take and post a picture of the idle set screw, in particular the side pointing to the carb.
I have a neighbors 181SE on my bench which runs fine but looses idle every now and then and I am guessing that the bolt is not original.

Thank You very much.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
3:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
just checked my 181 se out for piston clearance to see if I could delete the gasket. I got several readings. Without the gasket it is sitting at 0.0400 inch. I am just wondering if that seems normal on this series? With a gasket that’s 60 thou clearance. It seems excessive to me? Thanks for the input.

View attachment 158684 View attachment 158685
Those numbers aren’t out of the realm of possibility. 181’s had pretty small combustion chambers and often very generous squish to compensate. My 288 had .053 with gasket, .032 without and pumped up to 185psi. Not the same saw but a very close relative.

Did you try using 4 pieces of solder, one on each axis?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The thin ring piston is telling us that this is an early 181 correct? Bet the cylinder has a tiny combustion chamber. If it doesn’t have a decompressor I’d be a little cautious about how much compression it would have with a cut base. Finger stretcher!!!!!! Lol

Huskygasaxe

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes all four axis’s got checked. The solder was on the very edge of the piston. The saw is a 1984. No decomp. Before I send it to one of you to get the base cut I am going to try it with motoseal. I’d like to do some light milling with it. I have a 268,no decomp,base gasket delete sitting at about 20 thou clearance-when it gets cold in canaderp it is a bear to start! Thanks gang

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes all four axis’s got checked. The solder was on the very edge of the piston. The saw is a 1984. No decomp. Before I send it to one of you to get the base cut I am going to try it with motoseal. I’d like to do some light milling with it. I have a 268,no decomp,base gasket delete sitting at about 20 thou clearance-when it gets cold in canaderp it is a bear to start! Thanks gang
Sounds like a good plan, let us know how it works out.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I placed a new 288 top end on my 281 with the gasket in place to cut down on starter assembly and finger damage. With some mild porting, the thing runs perfectly fine.

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
2:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would You be so kind to take and post a picture of the idle set screw, in particular the side pointing to the carb.
I have a neighbors 181SE on my bench which runs fine but looses idle every now and then and I am guessing that the bolt is not original.

Thank You very much.

Wilhelm that was very polite. Too polite here's how we do it in America...

"Hey you salty sonof abitch I see you are driving a Hundai, where was that plastic recycled mattel toy made at a sewer plant. Hey when you get done drinkin' that slacker diet dr pepper would you be kind enough to grab me a cold this time 30 pack of Rolling Rock and come over here and adjust this husky carb while I bang your girlfriend?? MMMMkay thnx."

-edit whoops I see he's Canadian

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

"Hey you salty sonof abitch I see you are driving a Hundai, where was that plastic recycled mattel toy made at a sewer plant. Hey when you get done drinkin' that slacker diet dr pepper would you be kind enough to grab me a cold this time 30 pack of Rolling Rock and come over here and adjust this husky carb while I bang your girlfriend?? MMMMkay thnx."

OK, thanks for letting me know how to properly address Americans.

How do I address a Canadian then?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Hell of a contribution to the thread.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 158842 Idle screw and spring.181se
Canadian version lol
Thank You very much!
The bolt on my neighbors 181SE looks like a regular screw without the thread less section and might in fact be shorter.

Any chance You could kindly check the length of that bolt of Your 181SE for me?
Thanks!