High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

039 needs to sit in sun to start

Jungleman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
That’s right folks you read the topic correct.
Why would a chainsaw have trouble cold starting but then run fine once it is warmed up?

I recently went to visit my family farm and when I went to get my old Stihl 039 to fire it up and go cut some posts I heard my Mother yell out the window “you have to let it heat up in the sun for a bit!” Not something I’ve ever heard about a chainsaw..... It was difficult to start though. When I left it there years ago it would crank with full choke by the 4th pull. Then pop it up one notch and 1 or 2 pulls would get it roaring. Seems every time I am not the sole operator on a chainsaw something goes wrong with it. This is a saw I bought used/refurbished about 10 years ago and I used it for years with no problems.

I took out the carb and checked it out and it didn’t look too bad but I’m planning on taking a carb kit and changing out the gaskets anyways. Once I got it started and running I used it for about 3 hours straight with no issues and it fired up every time. The next day the same thing. I figured i could get it started but it took a while before it fired up. Definitely some small little repair that I could do myself if I knew what the issue is.

Would it need a new coil? You can go ahead and treat me like a rookie mechanic, I won’t mind!

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Choke isn’t closing completely or maybe needs fuel filter, fuel line and a carb kit

Reactions: AVB

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sitting in the sun allows the fuel tank to warm and build a slight amount of pressure and helps out a weak fuel pump.

Jungleman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Fuel pump? I think I missed that memo..... where’s the fuel pump? Or again is that in reference to the carb.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As huskihl said it is likely your starting problem is that the rubber parts in the carburetor has stiffen especially if it has been sitting several years. What I usually find on carburetors like these that have sit a long time is the fuel pump flaps tend to curl up and the metering diaphragms get stiff. At least the K10-HD repair kit is fairly reasonable even if it not the main source of the problem.

Jungleman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for all the tips and advice. I appreciate it.

I think I'll just go ahead and buy a new carb from the HL Supply website. The farmertec one.

Soon I'll be pestering you all asking about this 15 year old Stihl 066 that I want to put in a new P&C. It's got sentimental value as it's the first brand new chainsaw I ever bought. Yet another saw I left on the family farm and it was ruined by the workers who used it. It's been sitting unused for over a decade... I took it apart myself but don’t have the proper tool to remove the cylinder yet.

Attachments

• 20191216_144119.jpg
    20191216_144119.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya I had a saw like this once, before it would start up & run, I'd have to make it a sandwich. Then it started demanding beer half way through the day. Got rid of the fat damn lazy thing....I get it.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a client’s Husky 562 with a bad purge bulb. Lay it over on its right side so the fuel could run into the carb. Then It would start.

Finally put in a new one.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a client’s Husky 562 with a bad purge bulb. Lay it over on its right side so the fuel could run into the carb. Then It would start.

Finally put in a new one.