034 stock appearing, an up hill battle?

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard quite of few people say that building an 034 is a lost cause. That they are under powered. I cannot disagree, I cannot say that I've ever seen a 034 that was impressive. I've seen some that were significantly more powerful than stock, but none that set that model further apart than another saw of the equivalent size.

What is holding the horsepower back on this saw? Sure there is enough room in the combustion chamber to do a 3 point turn in a LTD, but what else? I'd like to know what makes this saw a poor choice for stock appearing.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stock appearing usually refers to cant racing and the main classes are 3 cube, 5 cube, 0-140cc, 5 cube pipe and 0-140cc pipe so the 034 is a lost cause due to the other saws it would have to stack up against in its class
the amount of time and effort put into a race saw is pretty large so it sucks to put that much into a saw that wont be competitive.
Dave

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would agree, but the main location where I run, they have a 3.2-3.5 cube class. And the 034 is sitting at 3.4cube, which puts its displacement back at a competitive number.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could tweak it a little bit and get some more out of it no doubt . Just about any removable cylinder Stihl saw can be massaged a little bit .

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
2:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I would agree, but the main location where I run, they have a 3.2-3.5 cube class. And the 034 is sitting at 3.4cube, which puts its displacement back at a competitive number.
I'm assuming there are quite a few 357xp's competing.
I'm pretty confident an 034 can be built up to be competitive in a 3.2-3.5 cube class. What are the rules for your stock appearing class?

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The current size has to fit in the class (not limited to production size). Any cylinder, any machine work, any carb, any fuel, no expansion chamber. No one seems to care if the saw is missing the air box/air filter cover.

I didn't see too many limitations in the cylinder itself, there is loads of meat on the cylinder to work with. Up until now I haven't been doing much more than woods porting the thing, but that is changing. I've had many people tell me no one could get anything out of the 034.

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have a lot of if's there .If one of them is any cylinder then hang an 036 cylinder on it .

That would help, but the 036 is 3.75 cube. It would bump it up to the next class. Sorry if I was not clear on the cylinder size. You can run any cylinder as long as the final product is within the cube range of the class. So the 034S and 036 would go to the next class.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Displacement aside once again it will respond to modifications if nothing else than a gasket delete .It depends on what you want it to do ,torque,speed ,torque and speed .External transfers,finger ports or just sweeps .They all do the same thing .Flat top,domed piston,cut down combustion chamber which also requires a cut down cylinder base .A zillion ways to skin the same cat .

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It could be that all the complaints I've heard are due to the size of the combustion chamber.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's several trains of thought on that I suppose . I've got a cylinder some place that got scuffed pretty badly from running a saw with only the wire portion of the filter intact .I'll take a peek at it but I'd imagine proportional it should be in line with just about any other Stihls .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I don't know where the damned thing went .My garage looks like the wreck of the Exon Valdez .However if I recall correctly which I might not have it seems to me this model much like the 038 AV might have had an offset combustion chamber . If and I repeat if that's the case it could have an effect .
However on the 038 AV which I have and modified it .It has a hemi domed piston .It responded very nice from what it started out to be from stock .
Also if I remember the 034 had a flat top piston .I screwed the cylinder up with a damned flap wheel,too coarse ,got in a hurry .Not good .It got turned into an 036 .

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 036 I have has a combustion chamber favoring the rear. I think someone told me there were 2 different cylinders, one with a more desirable combustion chamber, but that could have been the 034S or the 036. My mind is slipping. The 028S piston is the same bore with a dome on the piston, however, the piston does not go all the way up in the cylinder due to wrist pin location.

Jswanson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Big carb, external transfers... might have somethin then
How much gains are expected from external transfers? You forgot to add, blasting the top cover with buckshot. :camper: lol

It could be that all the complaints I've heard are due to the size of the combustion chamber.

Wouldn't a separate machined head solve that issue?

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much gains are expected from external transfers? You forgot to add, blasting the top cover with buckshot. :camper: lol

Should I take the cover off the saw before shooting it with buckshot? Of course I could get the muffler at the same time. :idea:

Wouldn't a separate machined head solve that issue

More than likely, time will tell. I've never ran this model saw with a fabricated head before. I'm sure someone has, just not in my area.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That’s A Great Theory.

@young
@sosridgerider

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats an odd class size. Ive seen lots of good runnin 036s, i dont see a reason why an 034 cylinder couldnt be competitive in that 3.2-3.5 class if its done up right.