03 Pro Leaking Fuel

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put my 036 Pro away a coupla months ago with a full tank of fuel and oil.
Went to use it yesterday and the fuel tank was empty.
What to look for?
Thanks

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
3:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The gas can.

Lowest point on the fuel tank would be the cap. Check the cap gasket. Maybe had a piece of debris between gasket and the sealing surface?

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fuel it up and place on some folded newspapers. With the air filter cover off you should see a leak in short order. A leak that drains the tank is pretty significant in my experience...

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my experience on the 036, the most likely is the aforementioned fuel cap, a cracked tank or fuel line, or a leaking needle and seat in the carburetor. The last one will leak into the engine, filling it with fuel. When this occurs it is a really bad time to do a spark check. You're going to have to diagnose just what's going on. If a new cap or line is required new parts from the manufacturer are best. On the carburetor, after much battling I found the the Tillotson replacement carburetor to be the ticket to not only success, but a smoother, better running, easier starting engine. :)

Last edited:

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my experience on the 036, the most likely is the aforementioned fuel cap, a cracked tank or fuel line, or a leaking needle and seat in the carburetor. The last one will leak into the engine, filling it with fuel. When this occurs it is a really bad time to do a spark check. You're going to have to diagnose just what's going on. If a new cap or line is required new parts from the manufacturer are best. On the carburetor, after much battling I found the the Tillotson replacement carburetor to be the ticket to not only success, but a smoother, better running, easier starting engine. :)
Ya ! the zama carbs are little delinquents

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you give me a part number for the Tillitson carb? I will just go ahead and replace it now.
Does anyone have one for sale?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag