STIHL 028 wood boss

Burchie70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 028 wood boss that I don’t use that often but it runs great but won’t idle. I’m going to change the fuel line and filter, rebuild the carb and change the impulse line. Couple question I have is I wanna break it down to clean it while I’m fixing everything. Do I only remove the grab handle, carb and motor mount bolts to remove the fuel tank part of the saw? I know the coil wire and pulse hose will still be attached but I don’t remove anything off the crankcase to separate it do I ? Other question, is it normal for the bar oil to leak from the oiler even when the saw isn’t running? It’s not a lot of oil but it definitely keeps leaking.
Thanks for any help

Burchie70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok thank you, any help is appreciated. My father bought this saw I believe in 1980 and I’ve only used it handful of times since he passed in 1989 so it’s time to replace some parts.

ray benson

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 028 wood boss that I don’t use that often but it runs great but won’t idle. I’m going to change the fuel line and filter, rebuild the carb and change the impulse line. Couple question I have is I wanna break it down to clean it while I’m fixing everything. Do I only remove the grab handle, carb and motor mount bolts to remove the fuel tank part of the saw? I know the coil wire and pulse hose will still be attached but I don’t remove anything off the crankcase to separate it do I ? Other question, is it normal for the bar oil to leak from the oiler even when the saw isn’t running? It’s not a lot of oil but it definitely keeps leaking.
Thanks for any help
Check your inbox for ipl and service manual

Burchie70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got them Ray thank you, I appreciate it.

Scrapcan

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
did you pull it down to clean it yet? I just did this to an 028 av. And I replaced the intake while I was in there.

here is quick rundown

empty fuel tank

pull air filter cover
pull air filter
unhook throttle rod
unhook fuel line
take nuts off carb
pull carb

pull the intake boot stiffener ring ( forget the actual part name)

unhook kill wire it slides into the control rod
unhook the ground wire, should be under the left rear bolt for the top cover.

pull bar
pull starter
take screws out of forward handle should be 4, 2 on side 2 on bottom
remove forward handle

Remove the spark plug
remove top cover

remove the screw in the upper buffer, would be a screw with a double-wing metal piece
remove the caps for the forward buffers on each side of the saw in the front by oil tank.
you will have to push the intake boot out and pull the wires out of the small grommet on rear handle housing
when it starts coming apart you will need to unhook the impulse line, I might break or if you are replacing you can cut it.

and then you have the rear handle off.

You can pull the coil and clean around it. you can buy the correct gauge to set airgap or you can use a business or playing card, that will get you close. Depending on the age of the saw it may use points or have an electronic ignition. The electronic ignition is nice.

You should also pull the sprocket/clutch hub/cover and clean under there also. you can lube the clutch hub bearing and check the clutch springs while you are in there.

When you go to put the intake boot back in, read the section of the shop manual that shows you how to use a string to pull it in.

And back together in reverse order.

a couple of other interesting items to look at

if the ignition wire is stiff and brittle, replace it. if it cracks you can get a short to ground. I chased this on one of my saws. it would run till you got in a cut and put pressure on the handle, it would open the crack and cut out.

watch how you install the clamp on the intake boot, there is only one good way to put it on!

Check your buffers for cracks or breakage

change that in-tank fuel filter and fuel line while you have it apart.

if the tank vent hose breaks don't throw away the stock section with the small grub screws in it, those things work as good or better than the aftermarket vents you see everywhere. The shop manual shows you how they go in a new section of hose.

Burchie70

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Scrapcan. I cleaned some of the 028 but got busy on a couple of other saws and still need to finish it. Maybe next week I’ll finish it up. Thanks again