026 Hard Starting

tapritchett

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I traded for an 026 some time back, and the saw has always been hard to start. Just replaced the carb with a brand new walbro fully adjustable model for the saw. When replacing the Carb I did notice a grounding wire pinched between the carb and housing. Saw is still hard to start usually have to use carb cleaner to help her along.

Ordered a compression tester and about the best numbers I am seeing is 105-110 psi. Guessing the compression is a bit low, time for a new piston and cylinder?? Other thoughts??? Much appreciated.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Very low. Pull muffler and plug, look at condition of piston, cylinder, and ring to start. MAY just need ring, may need more.
Never use carb cleaner, brake cleaner, ether, etc. to start a two cycle. It removes the oil from the internals and bearings. Hopefully your crank bearings aren't shot. Pour a little mix down the carb or through the spark plug hole if needed.

My .02

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with @ucm931 . Also another thing to look at is the choke flap on the air filter. Sometimes it doesn't full close. You have to pop the air filter apart heat and tweak the choke flap lever . A heat gun works but be careful!

tapritchett

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whos piston n cylinder kit would you get??

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you're gonna go aftermarket, I believe that the Meteor kit is pretty decent. Check with @Definitive Dave he may have some in stock!

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whos piston n cylinder kit would you get??

If your cylinder is scored (which we are not that far in this conversation yet) it will likely clean up.
You should attempt to clean it -- if it is. You can buy an OEM piston for a reasonable price. Or Meteor makes a high quality replacement for these saws.
I've built more of these saws than any other. If this were my saw -- that's the route I would take. The low compression may mean you have a internal problem
with the cylinder, or your tester is not working properly.

dmb2613

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
plenty of used oem stuff out there I would go with an oem piston over the meteor , if you get a ms260 jug it will be cheaper on a new piston they are plenty full on ebay about 30 bucks

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Allot of times the filter (that contains the choke) and the linkage were not meshed properly, basically filter in wrong ...not letting choke lever engage choke...

Sent from a baked potato...

tapritchett

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Piston and cylinder looked perfect, go figure?

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably time to go through a process of elimination as to why the saw is having the problem.
Check the spark, check the fuel system etc. If the compression is as low as you stated there is certainly a reason, or the gauge may be faulty.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If everything looked good inside and I had compression reading that low, I'd at least put new rings in. Boost compression back up to 160, 170 or so.
Saw should still start though.
I'd also check the start/stop switch wires, etc. I've seen a few that come loose and cause issues.

tapritchett

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Installing a new meteor piston and cylinder kit, will update after install

tapritchett

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Piston hitting cylinder at TDC. Installed new meteor piston and cylinder. Tried to delete the base gasket piston locking up at TDC. backed off fasteners slipped some gasket under the cylinder, re snugged two fasteners. Piston not hitting, guess the gasket delete wont work.
Any thoughts on where to get a gasket quick. What I have found is two weeks out.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Piston hitting cylinder at TDC. Installed new meteor piston and cylinder. Tried to delete the base gasket piston locking up at TDC. backed off fasteners slipped some gasket under the cylinder, re snugged two fasteners. Piston not hitting, guess the gasket delete wont work.
Any thoughts on where to get a gasket quick. What I have found is two weeks out.
Make one.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The 026's usually don't have enough space in the squish for a gasket delete. I would suggest you try the "thin gasket". I don't have the part number before me, but Stihl makes two different gaskets for this saw.
The thin one has always worked well for me. Its hard to say if the meteor kit will have the same numbers though -- If it were me I'd get the OEM gasket (my preference, not a law for everyone else).

Check out Ebay item # 391116153786

I really feel like you can get one quicker than 2 weeks. But I could be mistaken.