High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Your recommendations for a power wagon for our mountainside garden?

eldubya

New OPE Member
Local time
9:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My wife and I garden on a mountainside. Both of us are getting clearly getting too old to carry 40 lb bags of garden soil and heavy garden stuff up the 60-yard-long incline from where we park the pickup truck. Each of us has gotten nasty sciatica from it. So we're looking at the options for powered carts, and we need adult supervision.

The climb is a total length of 60 yds. The worst part is a 10-yard stretch of about 25 degrees followed immediately by a 5 yard climb of 30 degrees.

Excavating out a track to flatten the climb won't work, because there are so many rocks. We've found that medium sized rock may be just the tip of a washing machine sized one.

We've looked online at several types, both gasoline and electric. We were almost about to buy a DR Power Wagon but were afraid it wouldn't pull the gradients we have here.

One question is, we probably would never load to the 500 lb load capacity these power wagons have. So if you lighten the load to, say, 200 pounds, what gain will that give you on the steepness of hill you can climb? I don't know how to calculate that.

So what are some suggestions for a good power wagon for us? I'd like to cap our budget at $1,500 if possible. Although, what price do you put on a bad back? We have to do something.

old cookie

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a D R .I put tractor type lug tires on it.It will haul all the oak firewood I can stack on it.Our land is pretty flat,next week when it warms up I will try to find a slope that steep to see how it does.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Grillo two wheeled tractor with power wagon. You can also buy soil working implements for it. Check out Earthtools BCS.

eldubya

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks Old Cookie. The factory rep said it was rated for a 15 deg incline, but apparently that' with the full load.

And thanks Dustin, those look good. Question: do you think a 65 year old woman can horse this thing around or would she be scared of it?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Old Cookie. The factory rep said it was rated for a 15 deg incline, but apparently that' with the full load.

And thanks Dustin, those look good. Question: do you think a 65 year old woman can horse this thing around or would she be scared of it?

With the steering brakes, no problem. I looked and they don't sell the G107 with the power wagon option. I used one on a market farm, and they worked great. I have a BCS and a trailer. It just doesn't get great traction uphill loaded.

What about a Georgia buggy?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For your budget and use, I think the best choice would be an older garden tractor with gear drive transmission and lugged rear tires. They are surprisingly capable, and of course can be used to mow, push snow, and other tasks. I have a 1999 Troy Bilt V809 22hp/46" machine with dual range variable input transmission and it works great for this sort of use.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For your budget and use, I think the best choice would be an older garden tractor with gear drive transmission and lugged rear tires. They are surprisingly capable, and of course can be used to mow, push snow, and other tasks. I have a 1999 Troy Bilt V809 22hp/46" machine with dual range variable input transmission and it works great for this sort of use.
Or one of the smaller Honda units. Dad had a 4wd version that was a beast.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
a little more than your budget but if you can walk it, they can drive there. Not sure where to buy one now, they pulled out from the distributor that had them a few years ago and i havent heard of anyone else picking them up

Stihl036

3% Neanderthal
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a DR Power Wagon I've had about 15 years.

It is a very useful tool.