Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tell us how you really feel Bob.

A,: I don't stock them anymore.

B: All saws in pro use get pinched now and then. The $120 tank breaks at the front mount when you tug on it. Often tearing the boot. And if you yank it hard enough, you'll pull the wires out of the $135 coil. Expensive time consuming repair. Most top handle saws share the weakness of having the intake boot on either side of the AV, so when things get yanked on air leaks result. Seems to be worse with these saws. Not so much because they are more likely to break, but because of how expensive it is to fix them.

Has some run issues for which there is seemingly no clear answer. Saw comes in with idle and starting issues. Plug it in, do the reset, saw runs fine. Two weeks later it comes back "doing the same thing". Rinse and repeat. Can't have that in my store. We can't sell a saw that can't actually be fixed properly, so I'm done with them until a proper solution is found. They don't all do it, but the percentage is way too high; close to half of them.

Some guys live with them cause they like the power, but that is due to what I call competing stratigies of what a top handle saw should do. Half the guys want to continue to work with these saws even when chunking down 16" wood. Others use them for smaller wood and are far quicker to send it down and pull up a larger saw when the wood gets larger.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A,: I don't stock them anymore.

B: All saws in pro use get pinched now and then. The $120 tank breaks at the front mount when you tug on it. Often tearing the boot. And if you yank it hard enough, you'll pull the wires out of the $135 coil. Expensive time consuming repair. Most top handle saws share the weakness of having the intake boot on either side of the AV, so when things get yanked on air leaks result. Seems to be worse with these saws. Not so much because they are more likely to break, but because of how expensive it is to fix them.

Has some run issues for which there is seemingly no clear answer. Saw comes in with idle and starting issues. Plug it in, do the reset, saw runs fine. Two weeks later it comes back "doing the same thing". Rinse and repeat. Can't have that in my store. We can't sell a saw that can't actually be fixed properly, so I'm done with them until a proper solution is found. They don't all do it, but the percentage is way too high; close to half of them.

Some guys live with them cause they like the power, but that is due to what I call competing stratigies of what a top handle saw should do. Half the guys want to continue to work with these saws even when chunking down 16" wood. Others use them for smaller wood and are far quicker to send it down and pull up a larger saw when the wood gets larger.

Thank you Sir for this detailed answer. We are very lucky to have you here sharing your real world experience with us.

I take my hat off to you Bob.

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
12:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have an explanation for the running issues.

Mtronic dont like short cuts without load.
The Mtronic needs about 10-12 seconds WOT with load for a adjustment.
Most top handle saws are used for limbing small wood and work most of the time without enough load to do a proper adjustment cycle.

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an explanation for the running issues.

Mtronic dont like short cuts without load.
The Mtronic needs about 10-12 seconds WOT with load for a adjustment.
Most top handle saws are used for limbing small wood and work most of the time without enough load to do a proper adjustment cycle.

Isn’t this a discussion about husky top handles?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Isn’t this a discussion about husky top handles?

All chainsaws are what we are here to discuss. I'd love to see the brand wars end.

If I have a gripe about any saw, ya'll will hear about it. If you have a gripe....post it.

Just don't get butt hurt when someone has a opposing experience.

For instance....I have a guy having some hot restart issues with a MS462, now I hate to hear that about a new model, but if this becomes a regular issue, I'll be raising hell about it.

Now, leave me alone. I'm doing a big batch of 572XPs. :D

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All chainsaws are what we are here to discuss. I'd love to see the brand wars end.

If I have a gripe about any saw, ya'll will hear about it. If you have a gripe....post it.

For instance....I have a guy having some hot restart issues with a MS462, now I hate to hear that about a new model, but if this becomes a regular issue, I'll be raising hell about it.

no wonder your cranky

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Man who did you piss off lol?

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Was just trying to grok the connection between a T540 and Mtronic.

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time