WTF how did this happen?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very odd .Look at the wear pattern on that ring,right hand side near the pin .That portion of the ring never expanded . The question is was the land hammered prior to or as a result of the pin failure ?

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a lot of mystery to this one, the locator pin started to back out while rubbing on the cylinder wall there was enough friction to flip it up on the downstroke , see the tiny shiny spot in the rub mark on the cylinder wall. Look at the corresponding shiny spot on the upturned end of the keeper pin.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
With quality OEM parts like this, why would I ever try aftermarket?
Am I sensing sarcasm?
Maybe the previous owner was a piss-reving fool... i don't believe the 570 series of saws are know for that type of failure. Neither are any of the other models afaik.

Last edited:

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if the ring was installed incorrectly upside down causing the ring locating pin to foul. Take a second look at the piston pic the OP posted, the evidence there if the ring is upside down. Maybe they can only be fitted one way due to the location of the pin so they can't be installed wrong but one of the builders or husky guys can verify this.
The ring is in correctly.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had pins loosen up on their own. Tore the saw down to work on it and I noticed the streak going up and down the cylinder. But the pin was still in the piston, albeit loose. Seems like something would have to catch on the pin to tear it through the top of the piston, which is why I thought maybe it was catching on the top lip of the plating. It doesn't look like there is that large of a gap at the top though