Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The broken DL is underneath a raker, not a tooth.
I don't think the DL got weakened from filing.
Looks like breakage from shock load.
Those rakers could have used a more ramped/rounded shape, they're quite square.

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
That's when they start cuttin' good

After I got my grinder and had done my homework (reading and studying posts in this forum) I asked my Dad if he had any chains in his scrap metal bin. He said, "Yes, I just put one in there off my 026. Why do you ask?" I told him I would like to try sharpening it for him just to see how it cuts. He told me that old chains never cut as good as new ones. I said, "Well do you mind if I give it a try?" He says, "Sure, here, knock yourself out!" So, I take it over to my shop, give it the works (clean, sharpen, set depth gauges, lube) and then I take it back to him and say, "Here Dad, give this thing a try and let me know how it cuts!" Next day he calls me on the phone. "Hey that old junk chain cuts faster and better than any new chain I've ever put on that 026! I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen and experienced it myself!!! That is truly amazing!!" Now, Dad runs 'em until the cutters start breaking off!

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
12:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After I got my grinder and had done my homework (reading and studying posts in this forum) I asked my Dad if he had any chains in his scrap metal bin. He said, "Yes, I just put one in there off my 026. Why do you ask?" I told him I would like to try sharpening it for him just to see how it cuts. He told me that old chains never cut as good as new ones. I said, "Well do you mind if I give it a try?" He says, "Sure, here, knock yourself out!" So, I take it over to my shop, give it the works (clean, sharpen, set depth gauges, lube) and then I take it back to him and say, "Here Dad, give this thing a try and let me know how it cuts!" Next day he calls me on the phone. "Hey that old junk chain cuts faster and better than any new chain I've ever put on that 026! I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen and experienced it myself!!! That is truly amazing!!" Now, Dad runs 'em until the cutters start breaking off!
Smaller kerf. Kinda like old circular saw blades compared to newer ones. The ones made in the last 20 years or so only cut about half the width of the old ones

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I hit the divers on three yesterday with a four inch grinder. They were burnt soo bad from a fool with a grinder. Purple black sides. :facepalm:

They got the small 5/32" file free hand on tree eights semi from me. Nice hook and thirty on the top face.
Cuts great but will never see anything but soft or small dry firewood. Cut some sassy with it yesterday, fast chain indeed. Don't trust the chain now in oaks or hard maple.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hit the divers on three yesterday with a four inch grinder. They were burnt soo bad from a fool with a grinder. Purple black sides. :facepalm:

They got the small 5/32" file free hand on tree eights semi from me. Nice hook and thirty on the top face.
Cuts great but will never see anything but soft or small dry firewood. Cut some sassy with it yesterday, fast chain indeed. Don't trust the chain now in oaks or hard maple.

You have pics of the cutters Kenny?