Work bench tops

NCPT

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm finishing out my shop. Got the ceiling finished yesterday and new 8' led lighting is going up today. Work benches are next I'm looking for ideas on what to put on the tops of the work bences.

Plywood with sheet metal? Some kind of laminate or old countertop? I want to avoid bare plywood so ideas and pics please. I'm also going to build a station just for cleaning with compressed air to keep the mess contained....kind of like a sand blasting cabinet.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whatever you decide, make sure it has a radius edge. I hate my arms leaning on a sharp edge all day. I wouldn't have thought of using laminate flooring.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
1:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For about $200 you can buy an oak butcher block counter top from lumber liquidators that's 8' long, 25" wide and 1-1/2" thick. That is what is on top of the bench shown in my avatar pic. I was surprised at how good the quality was. I bought it 10 years ago and the price has not budged.

Last edited:

NCPT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the ideas, got some plans brewing. Shop lighting got finished today with six 8' led shop lights. Gonna start my work benches through the week and get my tools organized and my saws off the floor.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use 1-1/8 plywood, rip one sheet you have 16’x2’ of work bench, it’s super stable super durable, and can span a long distance without sag, I paint mine. Have done laminate countertops materials and it is easy to clean but it is slick and still scratches. I should just cover over with a sheet of stainless, but I have come to like the plywood, I usually just put a cut up cardboard box as a fresh work surface and it catches the oil and is disposable

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Id say either a decent plywood finished in epoxy or a sheet of hdpe or something non maring and also solvent resistant.

I got a sheet of hdpe from a local plastics place for very cheap($60 for .250x4x8), and its holding up well

BK13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmmm, I may have to steal this idea...
Id say either a decent plywood finished in epoxy or a sheet of hdpe or something non maring and also solvent resistant.

I got a sheet of hdpe from a local plastics place for very cheap($60 for .250x4x8), and its holding up well