Wood Splitter Recommendations

chaded

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was hoping I could get some help on this. I have used a wood splitter a few times but being a homeowner and purchasing a farm I now need to get one myself. I have an OWB so let's just say I will need to split a lot of wood. Trees would be 15-20" but there will be some that are bigger than that. Oak, hickory, and everything else. I have around 2 thousand to spend...

I was looking at the Dirty Hand Tools 35 ton horizontal/vertical splitter. I can get it with a 4 way wedge for $1565 shipped, cheaper with a single wedge. Should I opt for a 4 way wedge?

I was also looking at the Brave 30 ton horizontal/vertical splitter. It is around $2000 shipped, with a single wedge.

Are these good, and what else should I be looking at?

Thanks!

Fifelaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 22t Huskee that is 5 year's old now. It has split everything I have put on it. J prefer the 22t over the bigger ones because I can move it by hand. A single wedge is my preference also, with the owb I like my splits a bit larger.

chaded

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was thinking the same thing with the single wedge.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know our Huskee 22 ton has split a lot of wood. We had a 37 ton from Northern Tool and it was stolen out of the woods while we made a trip home with a load. We had the 4 way wedge on it, but it just cause more hang up and problems. I just prefer a single wedge now.

chaded

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got back from Tractor Supply with a new splitter. I got the County Line 30 ton, vertical/horizontal. They seemed to get good reviews and it was a little cheaper than the other two i mention. It was also assembled, full of fluids and ready to tow home.

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 22t Huskee that is 5 year's old now. It has split everything I have put on it. J prefer the 22t over the bigger ones because I can move it by hand. A single wedge is my preference also, with the owb I like my splits a bit larger.
I'm with Bud , I've got a 22 ton husky , going on 6-7 years ...single wedge...

Sawhawgz, ruining the internet since 2012...

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got back from Tractor Supply with a new splitter. I got the County Line 30 ton, vertical/horizontal. They seemed to get good reviews and it was a little cheaper than the other two i mention. It was also assembled, full of fluids and ready to tow home.
Plenty of splitter and with proper care, you'll never need another one! I would've suggested a SuperSplit HD but your funds range was a little low for that beast!

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me and a buddy are going in on a DHT 22 ton at the local Lowes, seems to be the best one for the costs and should be a lot faster than the small 12 ton we are using now.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me and a buddy are going in on a DHT 22 ton at the local Lowes, seems to be the best one for the costs and should be a lot faster than the small 12 ton we are using now.
Can't beat it or the Huskee 22 for the coins...you fellas will be satisfied with it!

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
7:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 34 ton Brave, with the B&S engine. I bought it well used about five years ago. Other than changing the oil, I've never had to do anything to it.
I use it vertical. I have a 40" Pickaroon and can sit on a hunk of wood and pull the rounds to me.
I'm well pleased with it.
Here's a photo of how I set it up, from when it was a bit warmer.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This right here solves all your splitter woes...Super Split HD! It’s a pricey MF’r but it makes short work of anything you can bring to the party...guaranteed!
View attachment 104334
I looked at the Super Split HD but a lot of what I split is 24" diameter and larger.
Getting rounds on the table would be an issue. If I was only splitting smaller stuff, a Super Split would be living in my barn. They're great machines, just wish they better fit my needs.

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
IMG_0745.JPG
Been splitting about 40 ricks per year since 2008 with this Swisher 22T unit. We really like it! It handled these 36" Red Oak rounds just fine. (except for the fact that they weight close to 300LBs each). After the first split I was able to wrestle them around by hand. If I were ever to buy another splitter....I would get a 28T unit with a 16GPM pump and 4-1/2" ID cylinder. Faster wedge speed and 6 more tons available for those pesky knotty hickory blocks. I'm not complaining about the 22T. It's a fantastic unit. But I would like a little faster cycle time. A bigger engine will burn more fuel for sure, but that is not as big an issue for me as the cycle time.

weesa20

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good choice. Have heard good things about the countryline splitters.

Just to answer the original question- the DHT 4-way wedge is not approved for hardwood- only straight grain soft wood.

W

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Just to answer the original question- the DHT 4-way wedge is not approved for hardwood- only straight grain soft wood.

W

God damnit man!! Do not tell me you signed up here and started right up with this crap again!?!?!?

weesa20

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey Ryan! Good to see you! Thanks for the hearty welcome!!! Glad to be here. I see many of my BFFs are here, so why not?

Apparently I did (twice actually) as anyone can see in plain font...:)

Even kept the same screen name to make it easy for the trolls...

No need for anyone to read (or respond to) what I write if they have a problem with facts...or just dispute the facts.

Anyway, no one else answered the question. And if having an educated consumer is crap, then I guess so...

Plus all those threads got shut down b/c they are a sponsor...

W

Last edited:

chaded

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I probably should of saved my money. The splitter works great but I have only used it a couple times and have been splitting by hand mostly.

I like having it but i like swinging things to break other things so....

I told my wife this the other day and she just shook her head.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

W

God damnit man!! Do not tell me you signed up here and started right up with this crap again!?!?!?

Hey Ryan! Good to see you! Thanks for the hearty welcome!!! Glad to be here. I see many of my BFFs are here, so why not?

Apparently I did (twice actually) as anyone can see in plain font...:)

Even kept the same screen name to make it easy for the trolls...

No need for anyone to read (or respond to) what I write if they have a problem with facts...or just dispute the facts.

Anyway, no one else answered the question. And if having an educated consumer is crap, then I guess so...

Plus all those threads got shut down b/c they are a sponsor...

W

Hello Gentlemen.

TonyK from AS gave Jon and I a heads up about some stuff that happened on AS.

Do Not Bring That Here.

Have a wonderful afternoon.