High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

windchill -60 below, what should redbull test?

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's my Julian @Redbull661 inspired vidja. Thought I'd see if an auto tune faired any better or not, Took a bit to get started and stay running. To be fair the saw was empty and I had to fuel it up with (also cold) mix, but also to be fair it does have a primer button, so... should have negated that. Was worried I'd cold seize the little feller, takes a bit to warm up. Took the entire rest of the day for this to upload after it was just about done, it started from scratch again. Other than that, to heck with cutting wood at 30 below.
Edit: I did have the heat to the carb turned on.
Stump Shot, you have a heated carb with your 550G, just takes time to warm up, might be your fuel mix.

Here's 2 brand new 550XP at my Febuary 2013 competition at -30F.
My Husqvarna sponsor gave me 3 of these saws(1 spare) right before the competition still sealed in their factory boxes.
I only had time to run them in a log for 5 minutes behind stage.
I used Husqvarna canned fuel mix.
Didn't put the winter kits on as I had no drill to get the holes started for the rewind cover.

I'm the guy on the microphone and the first guy up is my 6' 6" SILaw, the 550 wasn't warm enough yet. Once they got going they ran flawless and they were kept idling for the whole competition.
Same cold problem start again when we switched to the women's event. I had to switch to a pink jersey (breast cancer awarness) when I switched from men's to women's event.
This was only 1/2 of the competition, we had over 40 competitors enter. My camera men's battery was freezing up. This was February 2013, no winter kits and -30F.

Last edited:

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe @tree monkey can find some muckity muck at Stihl for Julian to send his vidja to, might make the case for the reintroduction of the Arctic Stihl's to America.
I'm surprised you guys in the US didn't have them years ago. My 1992 066 Arctic had a heated carb. Very first electronic heated carb on the market .

So here are the 550's at my competition 1 year later February 15 2014. Much colder, beautiful blue sky but with a windchill of -40F.
Had alot less competitors but the 550's ran flawless from start to finish outfitted with their winter kit. Remember these don't have heated carbs/handles.
20140215_140016 (1).jpg 20140215_124518.jpg 20140215_124522.jpg 20140215_132634.jpg

Last edited:

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For that 2014 competition my sawmill sponsor who supplied my cants went out of business, so the day before with the same -40 windchill I chainsaw milled up 2 beautiful 10"×14" ×16 ft white spruce cants
Sure slowed the times down

20140208_132123.jpg 20140207_164225.jpg 20140207_154954 (1).jpg 20140211_152914 (1).jpg 20140211_160746 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was just a spur of the moment idea on my part, figured that was the time to do it, so I best get after it. I was actually surprised that the saw started at all. A few more pulls and it would have been a really short vidja, might not have took all day to upload though. Lol
At least I know now it will cut in any cold weather that I am willing to cut in.
Kudos to @Redbull661 for the inspiration, he is a good example of the more we try the more we learn.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was just a spur of the moment idea on my part, figured that was the time to do it, so I best get after it. I was actually surprised that the saw started at all. A few more pulls and it would have been a really short vidja, might not have took all day to upload though. Lol
At least I know now it will cut in any cold weather that I am willing to cut in.
Kudos to @Redbull661 for the inspiration, he is a good example of the more we try the more we learn.
They will start but like I said I was running the canned Husqvarna fuel.
This pic here is the 550's running February 2015 and it was damn cold at -62F windchill, only got 1 picture. My camera man never showed up, Lol.
They ran flawless.
FB_IMG_1441523821458.jpg 20140224_143416.jpg 20140214_152141 (1).jpg

Last edited:

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe @tree monkey can find some muckity muck at Stihl for Julian to send his vidja to, might make the case for the reintroduction of the Arctic Stihl's to America.

Maybe that can be the next MAGA platform.

Meanwhile I ordered an MS462CM Arctic this morning. So far only the regular hand Arctics available in Canada, no Wrap versions yet.

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
10:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe that can be the next MAGA platform.

Meanwhile I ordered an MS462CM Arctic this morning. So far only the regular hand Arctics available in Canada, no Wrap versions yet.

I wonder what the hold up is with the wrap handle? That’s a big market here in the west that won’t/can’t buy them because of the requirement of having a wrap handle. Just seems strange considering it’s just a handle, can’t be that hard to produce.

I know a ton of guys that have been waiting to grab one of these, expecting the Artic wrap version to be available here in February as they were told. Going to be some unhappy people lol.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder what the hold up is with the wrap handle? That’s a big market here in the west that won’t/can’t buy them because of the requirement of having a wrap handle. Just seems strange considering it’s just a handle, can’t be that hard to produce.

I know a ton of guys that have been waiting to grab one of these, expecting the Artic wrap version to be available here in February as they were told. Going to be some unhappy people lol.

Only 50 of the regular in Edmonton warehouse. Arctic Wraps are a pretty unique item in the world wide market. Canada may be the only place that ever has them available. Europe an half wrap MS661 Arctic is a regular thing but no wraps, in Canada we only get the Wrap version...

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Logging in 40 below temps I've stuck my saw in a tree for the night and the next morning it may fire up and sometimes not.
Always had the skidder there for emergency heat sticking it on the muffler. Huskies Jonseteds with their metal starter pawls would freeze open . Stihl nylon pawls and pulley never froze and usually always work.
I think the test is unnecessary as no MTronic/ AT saw that is expected to work in 40 below is not expected to sit outside all night. My 550's never had to.

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
10:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Logging in 40 below temps I've stuck my saw in a tree for the night and the next morning it may fire up and sometimes not.
Always had the skidder there for emergency heat sticking it on the muffler. Huskies Jonseteds with their metal starter pawls would freeze open . Stihl nylon pawls and pulley never froze and usually always work.
I think the test is unnecessary as no MTronic/ AT saw that is expected to work in 40 below is not expected to sit outside all night. My 550's never had to.

I sort of disagree with you on your last comment. Our chainsaws stay outside all winter long unless something breaks that requires it to be taken inside. We don’t always work at -40 but -25 and below quite often.

When working on the road away from home the safest place to leave the chainsaw is in the bush. Work trucks get broken into quite often while staying at hotels. And we never have any real equipment to warm them up in the bush unless you make the sled ride back to the truck, even then there’s not much you can do without some sort of heater. That’s why, like I have said before you really have to take the proper precautions to keep the thing running and minimize it icing up. Can be a difficult task at times.

But of course this is just my personal work experience, we all do things differently.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sort of disagree with you on your last comment. Our chainsaws stay outside all winter long unless something breaks that requires it to be taken inside. We don’t always work at -40 but -25 and below quite often.

When working on the road away from home the safest place to leave the chainsaw is in the bush. Work trucks get broken into quite often while staying at hotels. And we never have any real equipment to warm them up in the bush unless you make the sled ride back to the truck, even then there’s not much you can do without some sort of heater. That’s why, like I have said before you really have to take the proper precautions to keep the thing running and minimize it icing up. Can be a difficult task at times.

But of course this is just my personal work experience, we all do things differently.
I understand out west in Alberta , B.C. interior you may not work much in 40 below because your climate is so much milder then ours in Manitoba. Back in the 1980s some Nov Dec Jan Feb we had 40 below each and every day in the mornings peaking out around - 30 by 2:00. Plus alot snow falling out of our spruce onto the saw that will melt it then freeze when shut down for the day.
End of most days I'd throw it on the skidder and my skidder operator would take it back to our lunch shack and leave it there for the night.
We had locked gates on our road.

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meanwhile in North Carolina:

I ran in to a guy at the barber shop today that was from Iowa. He told me that he saw the forecast of how cold it was going to be and he said "nope, I'm not staying here". He grabbed his dog and drove to Statesville, NC to stay with some friends for the week. I cannot say that I blame him.