High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Will this work?

Boots

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have an old but barley used [<20hrs] fs45 trimmer, this thing still looks brand new and the coil is shot, the saw shop sold me a 4140 1300b and now it only backfires. My original coil is a 4140 1303a and is proven non existent, I searched around and some say the replacement for the 1303a coil is the 4140 1308 but some say that one doesn't work either, I'm stumped on what to do. I found a 4140 1305 used that states it will work but not sure if I should buy it. any and all responses welcomed, tia.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
8:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe its out of time and the flywheel needs to be clocked?

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
2:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was a thread about this problem. I see if I can find it

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here it is.. any more questions feel free to ask..

http://opeforum.com/threads/help-with-stihl-fs-45-trimmer.17520/

Edit it this thread, you will have to read it all, the main part is in the manual (there’s a link in the other thread) but I’ve copied it on this page below..
That’s what I think is wrong. I could ask all the questions but it’s quicker if you read and ask any other questions :)9855FBAD-7A30-484A-9ED2-A91BF216DA90.png

Last edited:

Boots

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, I read and posted this on that thread before you linked it to me. Thank you for your help.

"So the answer is that the 4140 400 1308 will work for the 4140 400 1303a??? I am having the same problem, the saw shop sold me a 4140 400 1300b and it just backfires. And they won't take it back, they swear it is the correct one and that there is something else wrong with my trimmer. I check the compression witch is at 130#, keyway is good, muffler is good, this machine only has about 20 hours on it. I went to use it the other day and it fired then died. I bench tested the coil and it had no readings."

Will that 1308 coil work?
On the image you posted, my machine has all the components in the right side pics.

Last edited:

Boots

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is the reply from Stihl USA,

We are in receipt of and thank you for your email. The serial number of your machine is 263629942. Thank you for providing this as this is needed to get you the proper part. The coil part number you need is 4140 400 1308.

Thank you again for contacting STIHL.

Best regards,

Trey Vickery

Technical Service Representative

STIHL Inc.

So the serial number is the one below the barcode. Hope this helps others. Thank you guys for the help, very much appreciated. I'll update when part arrives.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes serial numbers and changes are approximate, well hats what I’ve read hear regarding saws. I would also check the orientation of you key way in the crankshaft, to help determine what they are saying is correct.. as to the pic I posted from the manual..

I hope you get it all fixed up..

I’ve been busy in my other disappointing saw thread.. so sorry for not replying sooner .:( ;)

Boots

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sometimes serial numbers and changes are approximate, well hats what I’ve read hear regarding saws. I would also check the orientation of you key way in the crankshaft, to help determine what they are saying is correct.. as to the pic I posted from the manual..

I hope you get it all fixed up..

I’ve been busy in my other disappointing saw thread.. so sorry for not replying sooner .:( ;)
No worries brother, yeah I hope it will be the correct replacement. I checked the position of the keyway and it is the same as in the right pic of the attachment you posted.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you can read the piston position, with or without a dial gauge, check the timing. You can also use a 12V timing light or a battery remote type. It should tell you how fubar it really is.

Toss the key and earball it ;)

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I try not to presume too much when dealing with a non-running 2T with unknown history. Have you cleaned out carb, also check the muffler screen 'if' its backfireing & not just popping. What im saying is don't forget the basics & usual suspects.

Boots

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I try not to presume too much when dealing with a non-running 2T with unknown history. Have you cleaned out carb, also check the muffler screen 'if' its backfireing & not just popping. What im saying is don't forget the basics & usual suspects.
Yes I've done all the basics, it definatley has to be out of time, it won't even fire with a little eather down its throat. This little weed eater is brand new, only used it a few times this summer. it was sitting in the box from 07' and I finally put it together. The coil blew and now I can't find the correct one, stihl says the replacement is the 1308 but I got that part yesterday and it just sputtered for a second then nothing. I'm lost on this thing. Good thing its not that expensive.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes I've done all the basics, it definatley has to be out of time, it won't even fire with a little eather down its throat. This little weed eater is brand new, only used it a few times this summer. it was sitting in the box from 07' and I finally put it together. The coil blew and now I can't find the correct one, stihl says the replacement is the 1308 but I got that part yesterday and it just sputtered for a second then nothing. I'm lost on this thing. Good thing its not that expensive.
When all else fails...........tannerite.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ten dollar Chinese carb will fix that trimmer.

Boots

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's not the issue, its out if time because of the coil being the wrong part number. The coil needed is nla. I have to source one from somewhere used or old stock if I get lucky.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's not the issue, its out if time because of the coil being the wrong part number. The coil needed is nla. I have to source one from somewhere used or old stock if I get lucky.
There's used coils on eBay. Any of these little gems I've worked on needed carb work and it's not worth putting a kit in them.

Boots

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Three coils later I finally found the original coil (1303a) I needed and she fired on the second pull. Saved another machine from the dump.:dance1: Stihlusa and all the STIHL Dealers were absolutely worthless with helping me with this trimmer.