Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question of the day.

Does a person's reputation not mean anything to them?
I have been self-employed since 1983. A man's reputation reflects his character be it good or bad! I have not advertised since 1987, my business is by word of mouth only. Show me a man with a good reputation and I will show you a man with integrity, a man whose handshake is his bond, a man who will not hesitate to "lick his calve" when need be. This internet has hurt a many of good business men by the "propaganda" spread about them. The one thing I have learned in 37 years is when false accusations were made against me I answered not a word in my defense. I am a firm believer that I have a defense attorney in heaven and he has never lost a case yet on my behalf. The truth ALWAYS prevails.

Cjone

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Question of the day.

Does a person's reputation not mean anything to them?
My reputation means more to me than money. And I think [hope, try my hardest] that this is true. It has cost me quite a bit but i would rather lose a few dollars making something right even when it was to begin with than having some one talk bad about me. I think i only have had maybe 2 times when i wouldnt repair something that was obviously damaged by abuse. As far as satan and spacebook, ill bet more true than anyone wants to believe! Cj

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Can't add much to this discussion in the sense that I'm not in the saw world at all (though the benefit of calling out con men to the community is obvious)....but I agree with the disparaging comments about internet and social media....seems badness is always trying to seep in and pollute everything, and the more incognito it can do it, the more successful it is....I guess the internet's been the best strategy so far in history....Just look around when you're in public. Everyone's on their phone....On the topic of today's youth, I work with em every day as a school teacher....Family's are broken, values gone, traditions a thing of the past, community...what's that? respect, manners....I miss em....My kids are in college....I thought it was bad when I went. About a third of the class would drop out after the first couple weeks....My brother moved here from Florida. He's a carpenter and got hired at a cabinet shop in the city. The owner said he won't hire anyone under 40....My bro is working for himself now, but contracts mostly with a high end cabinet maker. The guys this cabinet maker has working for him are younger (20's and 30's)....Their main topic of conversation is stuff like the latest episode of Game of Thrones....Right now my bro is working on a 4 million dollar house. The sheets of plywood for the master bath doors are 1k each. The young guys at the "high end" cabinet shop made one of the main doors one inch short. It goes on....Yeah, I'm pessimistic about the future....

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^...Everything went to hell in a hand basket and straight to *s-wordt when good ol’ fashioned ass-whippings went out the door, and kids could look you dead in the eye and tell ya, ‘you touch me, I’ll call the law on your ass.’ Needless to say, I got my money’s worth before a couple of trips in the backseat. They eventually learned that tactic didn’t quite work...never made the mistake again of saying it.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^...Everything went to hell in a hand basket and straight to *s-wordt when good ol’ fashioned ass-whippings went out the door, and kids could look you dead in the eye and tell ya, ‘you touch me, I’ll call the law on your ass.’ Needless to say, I got my money’s worth before a couple of trips in the backseat. They eventually learned that tactic didn’t quite work...never made the mistake again of saying it.

Every time I get a compliment about my kids behavior I chuckle to myself cause I know and they know I'll light that ass up. Pretty magical how that works.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't add much to this discussion in the sense that I'm not in the saw world at all (though the benefit of calling out con men to the community is obvious)....but I agree with the disparaging comments about internet and social media....seems badness is always trying to seep in and pollute everything, and the more incognito it can do it, the more successful it is....I guess the internet's been the best strategy so far in history....Just look around when you're in public. Everyone's on their phone....On the topic of today's youth, I work with em every day as a school teacher....Family's are broken, values gone, traditions a thing of the past, community...what's that? respect, manners....I miss em....My kids are in college....I thought it was bad when I went. About a third of the class would drop out after the first couple weeks....My brother moved here from Florida. He's a carpenter and got hired at a cabinet shop in the city. The owner said he won't hire anyone under 40....My bro is working for himself now, but contracts mostly with a high end cabinet maker. The guys this cabinet maker has working for him are younger (20's and 30's)....Their main topic of conversation is stuff like the latest episode of Game of Thrones....Right now my bro is working on a 4 million dollar house. The sheets of plywood for the master bath doors are 1k each. The young guys at the "high end" cabinet shop made one of the main doors one inch short. It goes on....Yeah, I'm pessimistic about the future....

21 year old kid at work removed the filter from the shop vac at work to "save" it when he went to clean up some nails and concrete.

You just can't make this *s-word up.

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
21 year old kid at work removed the filter from the shop vac at work to "save" it when he went to clean up some nails and concrete.

You just can't make this *s-word up.
Most of these youngins these days can't even figure out how to operate a shop vac. Give em a screw gun and watch them try to screw up osb or drywall. Thats comical. I quit trying to teach this new generation anything. You try and teach them something and all of the sudden they're know it all pros who refuse to shut the hole under their nose and listen. They just want to be my boss by their 3rd day on the job

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of these youngins these days can't even figure out how to operate a shop vac. Give em a screw gun and watch them try to screw up osb or drywall. Thats comical. I quit trying to teach this new generation anything. You try and teach them something and all of the sudden they're know it all pros who refuse to shut the hole under their nose and listen. They just want to be my boss by their 3rd day on the job

Give them a hammer and nails..... much more fun to watch!!

Spent the whole day today touch up painting a house that the skinny jean wearing, man bun dumb-asses just did......
using the wrong color in EVERY room.
These pansy-asses can't even lift osb or drywall much less try to hold it and screw it.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ask their young, know-nothing asses what’s a framing square or a speed square, much less any clue as to how to use one...mention joists, rafters, ridges, gables, hips, etc...and the little bastards will look at ya with the typical deer in the headlights stare. Most nowadays wouldn’t make decent tote-boys keeping the sawhorses loaded, but they’re WFO Friday afternoon payday looking for that cash...