why me? 372 blown...again

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
5:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And so far I've seen no good reason to use proprietary bearings in any design. A pet peeve of mine for sure. When I look for saws to own....I'm gonna favor saws that use 6202 and 6203s. ...and prefer saws that use the same seal for both sides. Ie...350 262xp 394 200t.
:)

I know...I'm cooky
well, there is a few good reasons for why those proprietary bearings get used from both Stihl and Husky, main reason is to cut down the crank axels ie, more slim chainsaw body, just study a 254 and a 550 crank, a 550 crank is 1" more compact!!!
In the field Matt, no one care about a 40$ bearing, all they care about is how many logs they can deliver through a working day, and if a saw model is more slim and easier to flip around for limbing work its a winner for them.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
11:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yeah, I just don't see it. a seal is 5mm thick ...beyond the thickness of a 6202 or 6203 bearing. ... I dunno, I'd have to look closer at the engineering to see why its THAT much narrower.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
and yes Tor, I completely get that saws are disposable to most fallers and tree guys. they get em, beat on em, and toss em when they stop working.

its just not how I look at them ... which is part of the beauty of the hobby. i can love my 350's. you can love your 346's. :)

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like those pigtail hoses. I watched one of your videos on YouTube on a 346. You used one in there. Lol. Just a random question here. In theory would that piston you cleaned up be just fine if you put it back or do you suppose you removed too much material from it? I have my reasons for asking. I don’t sell saws ever and I may try cleaning up a piston. Long story on what happened to it. Stuck a ring from a tiny piece of the cylinder roof...... bearing was about to detonate on the crank. Let the piston travel up into roof. It just has one score on it where the aluminum got between it n the cylinder wall.
Anyway not gonna clog your thread just wanted to be subbed in here

Jake, I would NOT unless it was a rare piston that otherwise was unobtainable. reason being that the skirts are compromised, whether slightly or somewhat significantly we wont know without some pretty good measuring tools. Ive seen plenty of ugly stuff happen when a skirt lets go in a jug. and ive seen a few that just sat in the crank and blew up the bottom end. IMO its easier to clean up a jug then a bottom end. nothing wrong with trying it out on yer own saw and seeing how far it will go but there will be additional play in the skirt to cyl relationship.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
5:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yeah, I just don't see it. a seal is 5mm thick ...beyond the thickness of a 6202 or 6203 bearing. ... I dunno, I'd have to look closer at the engineering to see why its THAT much narrower.
its a bit surprise to realize how much them engineers managed to shave down a crank, but remove the whole seal pocket, flywheel design and distance, more narrow worm gear&clutch drum and so on, quite impressive they also managed to squezz in stuffers.
There is of course far more into them new type saws Stihl and Husky develop then just bearings&cranks&top ends, when I read about 572 and flywheels gyro effect I realized that the picture of a new chainsaw is way over my capacity :D

and yes Tor, I completely get that saws are disposable to most fallers and tree guys. they get em, beat on em, and toss em when they stop working.

its just not how I look at them ... which is part of the beauty of the hobby. i can love my 350's. you can love your 346's. :)
we dont swap bearings that often, I struggle to see a proprietary bearing saw to be a no keeper, but that is totally up to you Matt :) there are times I like them classic saws also