Why leaf blowers are easier to start

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know why... why? LOL. Each time I used my Stihl 86 leaf blower, it strikes me that they are so easy to start! Why ARE chainsaws harder to start? You rarely hear of some guy throwing his leaf blower into the pond but I've heard stories about chainsaws meeting watery deaths. And death by bulldozer and such. On purpose. Because they won't crank all of a sudden. Any ideas?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I loved my old Toro 3HP snowthrower with the 2-cycle Tecumseh engine. Started on the first or second pull after sitting all spring, summer, and fall. All I did was add a little Stabil and drain the fuel at the end of each season. Took me several years to realize that it did not even have an air filter! Liked it better than the Toro 4HP, 4-cycle model I replaced it with.

Philbert

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I don't know why... why? LOL. Each time I used my Stihl 86 leaf blower, it strikes me that they are so easy to start! Why ARE chainsaws harder to start? You rarely hear of some guy throwing his leaf blower into the pond but I've heard stories about chainsaws meeting watery deaths. And death by bulldozer and such. On purpose. Because they won't crank all of a sudden. Any ideas?
My experience is ....In general most saws/blowers/weed eaters.....etc, should not be a pain to start . Condition , design and start process will play a part.
The 86 blower has a purge bulb on it so your already ahead of the game by needing less pulls to pull fuel through. Many modern coils have a timing change to help a start and a few have the ability to store some charge ( Example : MPI coil on Dolmar/Makita ) allowing a very low RPM of the motor to generate a spark.
I suspect the examples you have mentioned could have had .....Issues ! that may have needed addressing.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Given enough time the blowers will have a moment or two .This spring I had a coil go bad on a Stihl BG 85 .I just happened to have an other one on hand which is blind luck .

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
well the Stihl 4 mix blowers have a decomp button built in to the "Cam" so every start is w/o full compression. Also the 4 mix motors are easier to start because they are AWESOMER....and have valves not ports. Not sure if the 86 is a 4 mix though.

Flippy Cap Fan Club Pres ...

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
well the Stihl 4 mix blowers have a decomp button built in to the "Cam" so every start is w/o full compression. Also the 4 mix motors are easier to start because they are AWESOMER....and have valves not ports. Not sure if the 86 is a 4 mix though.

The 86 is a 2 stroke.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not certain of how many blowers and weed wackers that were given to me which all ran at one time .Usually it's just a carb rebuild or a broken fuel line .One weed wacker believe it or not was one weak magnet on the flywheel which was really odd ..I used a rare earth magnet and restored it but that only lasted a season .

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Until you burn a valve and then they will not start for $#1T

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can tell you about a Bg 86 as opposed to it's predecessor the BG 85 .My 85 was given to me by a trimmer bud who's knuckle heads backed a chipper over it and I repaired it .He complained his new then BG 86 was a mere shadow to the BG 85 he had replaced .After running both I agreed with him . Newer isn't always better .BTW a hand held blower makes a darned good forced draft blower .Gets the fire going real good to roast the wienies . Baseball, hot dogs, mom and apple pie just the way it is .

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Until you burn a valve and then they will not start for $#1T
Or if you let the muffler screen clog up like a tar pit. Stihl leaf blowers are notorious for clogged spark screens. After that, you might be able to start it but it will never run at WOT until you replace or clean like a bandit. I've cleaned a dozen or so of them.

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Leaf blowers will shear the flywheel key.
It will have spark, not at the right time
fuel and compression
Lugnuts that are happy with their trigger finger don't realize the forces imparted by the fan and flywheel.

I have a 380 backpac blower like new that was pronounced dead by the local backyardigans that runs great now just needed a key.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couple of things I can think of, weedeaters and blowers work in a much cleaner environment than saws do. Also, they spend most of their time running at WOT with a fairly constant load. Saws work in a much dirtier environment with a more varied load and spend a fair amount of time idling.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Big difference in compression?

Philbert

That is a line of thinking I was on when I made the OP. I may be wrong but it just seems chainsaws are so much more problematic. Now, I am thinking that, like other people have pointed out, chainsaws get so dang dirty! I will also add something I haven't seen anyone mention (unless I missed it) and that is... chainsaws are apt to be put up and forgotten for long periods of time, unused, so, they get gummed up. Weed whackers and blowers are apt to be put up for not more than maybe six months. Chainsaws, a year or several.