why double rakers?

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are bound and determined to use your progressive gauge then do what @beaglebriar said and grind off the safety bumper

Go slow and keep the metal cooled with ice water so you don’t mess up the temper of the steel

I would leave them and get a $3 drop down gauge or just use feeler gauges if you have them

Lots of smarter folks have already stated you can cut perfectly well with safety chain

When you wear out your chains and bar then make some more educated choices on where to go from there

Chances are your filing skills will be greatly improved and your preferences in cutter type, etc will be more refined

Good luck

oh, btw, where in AZ?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
gQ4zl1k.jpg
This may well be a Stihl RM3 .325 063 68dl box, but I'm pretty sure the chain you've posted a pic of is something quite different....

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats weird

I was grilling while on my phone and set it down to turn my chicken and must have hit send...

Anyway, I was going to say I don't know Squeal chains on sight and especially in this situation

I looked on the Stihl and Oregon sites and all the .325 .063 chain I saw is double bumper type so I thought the pic was right

I dunno

I am still trying to reconcile .325 chain in .063 gauge

I don't get it but then I know what I know and I certainly don't know .325 chain or anything in .o63

Always assumed .063 was for romping stomping stuffs and big cube saws

Feel free to skool me...

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I am going to be #imadik

You talked about your brother's chain and bar overheating

If the chain in your pic is his I have to say that based on the pic that chain is butter knife dull

I could be completely wrong but the edges look ROUND

And the dust along the edge of the bar looks cooked

The cutters also look way overheated

I don't think the heat and poor performance had anything to do with the safety bumpers

It looks like a stumping chain at the end of a hard day

Just saying

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
9:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
4" grinder with a cut off wheel. If it ruins the chain so be it. Didn't have much to lose to begin with.

That’s what I did once,, every safety bump link has to be kinked as if going around I small bar nose.
I'd never do it again it just took to long. And it was probably my poor filing as to why it cut like crap.

I'd agree that chain is duller than a kids toy knife.
If you had a new chain to compare yours you would agree ;)

Here's a pic of what I guess is what other guys are talking about, blunt or sharp. Your chain looks a lot duller than what the pic shows as dull
And remember, it takes a split second to dull a chain if you hit the dirt when the chain is spinning at 8k or what ever. You will hear guys talking about bucking dirty logs and how it dulls the chain :(
D9AE4FB0-56EE-4857-9763-056698BB8CCF.png
Here’s the link of where I got the pic, idk if it’s worth a read or not.
http://arborist101.com/chainsaw-sharpening-guide/

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
4:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a roll of picco PS3 with the double raker here that I haven't messed with yet. It doesn't look too cumbersome to file. If it sucks I'll sell it. But if it was all I had and it sucked I'd modify it until I got the best results,is all I'm saying. Fortunately I have other options, I also have no patience for *s-wordty chain.

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Not my brother's chain. It's mine and I know it's dull. Trying to sharpen which led to this post. Next time I'm at his place I'll look at his as well as the one he put on his saw to replace it.....As far as whether the box matches the chain, I can't say. It's what they gave me at the store when I got it at Christmas. Would be kinda misleading if they didn't match....

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not a fan of safety bumper chain.
BUT, if sharpened properly it cuts very good. If this chain in question in the OP is not cutting, its not because of the safety bumpers. It needs to be sharpened.
This chain I have here started out as .325 .063 67 dl chain. It cut OK. I filed the front of the raker on an angle. To make feeding a bit better. I have since square filed it, just because. This chain cuts real good.
20190925_140500.jpg 20190925_140455.jpg

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks, RI Chevy....great demo too....not gonna get into square yet...need to get the basics down first. What depth gauge did you use for the rakers? That's the main thing I need to know....Appreciate it....

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oooh, you've got the zen thing going on....I like it....Use the force, Luke....I would send it, and I may. (Sure appreciate you offering!) Another member here has made a similar offer. But that might be just like me taking it to a shop to get it done. I really need (and want) to learn this. So do you at least eyeball to see if the rakers are the same height? Or just try to file them the same amount each time?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I start with a new chain, I count file swipes. I do the exact amount of file swipes to every cutter and raker.
So hopefully I stay pretty even throughout the chain life.
I'm just a hack though...