High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

why double rakers?

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Why do these chains have double rakers side by side? My brother and I both have the same Stihl saw. He was having trouble with his chain/bar overheating and he switched over to a standard single raker and it was night and day. It also makes it harder to file down, and the progressive style gauges don't fit. Seems an all around pita....Kind of like the restricted mufflers...Let's see how "safe" we can make everything...Pretty soon the trees won't even have to worry....

aKtEDPK.jpg

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you file the rakers the right way, those chains can cut well...
I took one and converted it to square. Cuts nice.

Get rid of the rounded corner and file it on a 45* angle.
20200112_200545.jpg

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you notice when the chain gets bent or turns around the nose radius the safety hump becomes pronounced, then it gets out of the way on the flatter surfaces of the bar.....clever. It stands up where you need protection the disappears when you don't. This is one of the better more evolved designs.

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No argument from me CR888, but I'm a fan of K.I.S.S.....all this stuff those engineers get paid big money to dream up just gets in my way....I'll be replacing mine with an old school chain as soon as I can. Store this one away for an emergency....

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your making bucking cuts and not plunge/bore cutting it should perform as good as non-safety chain. Best you judge for yourself, any chain will only perform if its ground or filed well.

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok, good insights.....thanks guys....my bro had a bad experience with this chain compared to older style. But....I need to spend more time with the files and see for myself. I'm still bummed I can't use my raker depth gauge with this. Could you guys post a pic of what depth gauge you would use with these chains? Thanks!

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why do these chains have double rakers side by side? My brother and I both have the same Stihl saw. He was having trouble with his chain/bar overheating and he switched over to a standard single raker and it was night and day. It also makes it harder to file down, and the progressive style gauges don't fit. Seems an all around pita....Kind of like the restricted mufflers...Let's see how "safe" we can make everything...Pretty soon the trees won't even have to worry....

aKtEDPK.jpg

FWIW when I file my oregon semi chisel chains, that have double rakers, the husqvarna progressive depth gauge fits over the rakers.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take the chain and do a good sharpening with a round file. Then out the chain into some wood. See how it does. See if it self feeds, check the chips and see if they are small or big. Then go from there.
If chain needs pressure to cut, then take a couple of swipes off the raker top. Then retest until you get it to where you like it.
I took the front lip of the double rakers down to about a 35-40* angle. I felt it made a decent improvement in the cutting ability.

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tried my Husky progressive gauge on mine and it doesn't seem to fit at all. The double rakers are too wide. Since I can't really afford a new chain right now, surgery may be in order....

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never mind

I just picked up on the Wood Boss logo on the bar

Thought maybe I might have a chain I could send your way but sadly I don’t