Why does everyone hate on ethanol?

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder why everyone hates on ethanol so much. I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It ruins carburetors and eats up fuel and primer lines. It rusts steel tanks real quick. Makes diaphragms stuff as a board. I love the stuff. :aaaaa:
Oh yeah........ I run a small mower repair shop. Ethanol makes me more money than anything else. I have had the same generator in 3 times for being used and fuel left in it for months. Same with a couple snow blowers. Some people are just lazy I guess. Oh well, just makes me more money. I love ethanol. :iloveyou:
Merry Christmas to everyone and their families!

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only real ethanol I like at this time, well anytime really is Beer.

Cheers to ethanol.:beer-toast1:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ethanol is a small engine service technicians best friend.

skinnee440

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is simply awesome at cleaning out tanks and putting all the goo into filters and turning old fuel lines into dead earthworms! I got a nice 5 gallon bucket that has 3 layers of "go fast goodness" out of a customers sled. When you burn thru one layer, stop and re-jet for the next layer! Can't wait for business to explode when they let them go to 15 or 20%!

Xr650jkallen

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate it when it comes to small engines, but in a car engine that has the necessary equipment to run it I love it. More timing and cleaner valves and injectors. Its hell on fuel systems not designed to run it though.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should have been serviceing outboards back when E10 came out and destroyed every black piece of rubber in the carb and fuel system.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ethanol vaporizes out and leaves behind a lovey film that plugs up tiny jets- plus eating just about everything in a fuel system. And then it's also hygroscopic ( attracts water) which as noted rusts steel , and causes oxidation in alum components. Even if you drain or run dry the system in a small eng there is enough left behind to cause trouble. Just looked at some new replacement eng. guess what, Mfg(s) recommends not using ethanol laced fuel. I also see some units now becoming available with fuel injection- premium price though. There are some retrofit efi units around now , as to cost I have been unable to find that.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I guess ethanol helps small engine shops stay busy. I stay busy enough from people neglecting their equipment and forgetting they have it..., until they need it.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not perfect, last year I finally had to replace the carb on my 40+ year old Snapper snowblower. My 30+ year old Simplicity 860 also died, again carb problems- unfortunatly that carb assembly is no longer available oem, least wise I have not found a replacement yet. Yesterday I broke down and bought a brand new Simplicity- $ OUCH. this is the very first Brand New small engine unit I have ever purchased- getting old and it's a lot harder for me to work on his stuff now days. particulaely in the cold. I have a 36" chi-com contraption called the Beast( 15 hp- 400+cc) snow blower that is awaiting parts. It likely will end up on the front of my compact tractor as I simply do not weigh enough to tip it up and turn it. Top speed on this monster is a full run for me and I am 6'+, lowest forward speed is still a fast walk. Digging into it, it looks to be built as well as can be expected by todays standards. Bought last year at tale end of season- used and abused. Someone must have gotten a bit to close to the business end as the very first thing I had to do was defrost it and remove a complete set of Jeans ( slightly shredded of course) from the augers and impeller area. Likely the reason I had to replace the drive belts as noted in a previous post.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alot of our gas has had ethanol for decades. When I was a kid, the Ashland/Speedway pumps usually had a sticker that said "contains up to 10% ethanol". In all my machinery I use a healthy dose of fuel stabilizer, 2-3x the recommended amount. Leave the treated fuel in them through the winter and they fire right up in the spring. Would I prefer straight gas? Yes, but I haven't had any problems with treated E10 fuel so I'll continue to use it.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
quote from the dealership yesterday - hard time getting carbs or rebuild kits for same- demand outstripping supply, compounded by shipping problems ( but that is another subject ).