Why do my local dealers suck?

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok.. I just got done going through an 066 and realized I forgot to get an 1128 129 1100 gasket. This gasket seals the air filter plate to the carb intake. I call a local dealer and give them the part number.. straight out of Media Cat. This gasket is used on 044, 046, 066, MS 440, MS 460, MS640.

The response I got was the same as always; "We've never had or sold one of those. I won't do a Stihl order until next Tuesday at the earliest."

I want to scream "I know why! If you don't have them you can't sell them you idiots."

Never a "We don't seem to have that in stock but I can order one. With the holiday it may be middle of next week."

This is why I use vendors from mainly this forum. Never any lip, just parts I need and to my door!

End rant...

junkman

Crush it
Local time
2:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok.. I just got done going through an 066 and realized I forgot to get an 1128 129 1100 gasket. This gasket seals the air filter plate to the carb intake. I call a local dealer and give them the part number.. straight out of Media Cat. This gasket is used on 044, 046, 066, MS 440, MS 460, MS640.

The response I got was the same as always; "We've never had or sold one of those. I won't do a Stihl order until next Tuesday at the earliest."

I want to scream "I know why! If you don't have them you can't sell them you idiots."

Never a "We don't seem to have that in stock but I can order one. With the holiday it may be middle of next week."

This is why I use vendors from mainly this forum. Never any lip, just parts I need and to my door!

End rant...
Must be where you live ,i can walk in my dealer and get going that day with one of their shelf .

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Stihl dealer here is the same way, but when you did finally get it, would charge you four times what it's worth. Much easier getting parts online. Husqvarna dealer, not much better, I will still darken his door, more than I can say for the Stihl dealer. Not sure why a brick and mortar store with all its modern competition, can afford to be a dick to its customers.

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local dealers suck too, just for different reasons. However, I am lucky in the fact that the regional distributor is in town and anything I order they have will show up Tuesday the following week.

NormalT

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If they have never had anyone order them or have never needed one then why stock it? I understand that if you don't have it you can't sell it but if we stocked every single part it would cost millions of dollars. If I had millions of dollars I wouldn't be in this business.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm past it too. In this case I've called three dealers now and they all tell me they have never stocked this gasket. I'll cut one tonight. I was just thinking anything under $3.00 (even though I feel it's a $0.50 gasket) I'd spend to save my time. Wait 10-12 days.. I'll pass.

I order all of my Stihl only parts through Dave. He will tell you he is not the cheapest.. I don't care. I'd rather buy from him and help his relationship with his dealer than give to someone that doesn't care local. Funny thing, I can order random stuff from Dave, he goes to his dealer and orders it, and it's in my mailbox before my local dealer can get it in for me.

Bottom line, support good vendors, local or online.

I just received an e-mail from USPS. Order from HL on Monday and here today. Vendors like this need my business.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm past it too. In this case I've called three dealers now and they all tell me they have never stocked this gasket. I'll cut one tonight. I was just thinking anything under $3.00 (even though I feel it's a $0.50 gasket) I'd spend to save my time. Wait 10-12 days.. I'll pass.

I order all of my Stihl only parts through Dave. He will tell you he is not the cheapest.. I don't care. I'd rather buy from him and help his relationship with his dealer than give to someone that doesn't care local. Funny thing, I can order random stuff from Dave, he goes to his dealer and orders it, and it's in my mailbox before my local dealer can get it in for me.

Bottom line, support good vendors, local or online.

I just received an e-mail from USPS. Order from HL on Monday and here today. Vendors like this need my business.
Daves OEM prices are cheaper than my dealer and I get it faster from him. Everything at my dealer is a week to 2 week wait and prices are unpredictable. I swear the price structure is based on wether the counter guy has had his morning coffee or not and how lucky he got last night.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Daves OEM prices are cheaper than my dealer and I get it faster from him. Everything at my dealer is a week to 2 week wait and prices are unpredictable. I swear the price structure is based on wether the counter guy has had his morning coffee or not and how lucky he got last night.
Same here. They always question where I get part numbers from too. I have lost count of the times I tell them the IPL and they say the Internet is wrong. The look when I say out of media cat is priceless.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ordered a handful of items from a husky dealer about 40 mins away from me, this was about 2 years ago. They would usually just call me when my stuff arrived, though usually i ended up calling them to check in. I tried calling a few times, the last time (about a month after initial order) the dufus i talked to couldnt even find my order in the computer. I gave up and got the stuff from partstree. About 6 months later i got a somewhat surly call from the service manager, regarding my outstanding parts order they had been holding......needless to say i dont use that dealer anymore.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

End rant...

Because they are trying to be business minded, and don't take in to account reality.

I've got a halfway cobbled up parts guy, and even he is having trouble getting 88 bar studs.

He had the nerve to say I even couldn't have his 2. [emoji41]

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Jimmy in NC I am assuming Clay's, Wilson's, and Hudson's right? All three are what I call catalog stores. They don't stock much of anything from my experience...

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
2:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That is the gasket used with the arctic heated version. It is used with a heater plate.Screenshot_20161123-130154.png

They do sell rolls of grey gasket material at the auto parts store that is the perfect thickness. I've made dozens and dozens of various gaskets that has saved me big time.

Last edited:

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local husky dealer tried to convince me a 545 piston was a 372xt. I dont go there anymore. Our local stihl dealer is great. To bad huskys out cut stihls or i would use them.

zeebee413

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My Stihl dealer sucks too... the parts counter anyway. They never call me to say my parts are in. And.. they got some old crusty chick at the parts counter that don't know her arse from her elbow... now one of the mechanics is a great guy and always has time to walk me through a problem if I get stuck... he's a great resource... it's super frustrating to have to rely on incompetent staff at the dealer ...

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually like most of the counter staff at two of the local dealers (Wilson's and Clay's in Fuquay). I could sit and talk with them for hours. They just don't have anything in inventory for the saws I work on. The sad thing is they are very common saws. Mostly 026, 260, and 660.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It is hard having parts on hand that will sale. and these dealers make it hard with minimum order amounts and certain days. some dealers do try harder then others

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local stihl dealer / JD tractor dealership isn't much better. If not in stock they got to have minimum 30 something to place order or wait till Thursdays.

I called once to see about getting a chain shortened a link and they said they could do it and would have to charge a half hour shop rate for labor plus parts. Went to the dealer in town where I work and he charged me $2.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

ANewSawyer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just don't like Stihl's parts policy. I don't want to wait a week for a part that may or may not be right, since we don't have access to the newest ipls. Went through that on a fs240. Stihl had updated the gear box and it had a new part number for the limit stop. It took the dealer about 3 weeks to get the right one in, then it took me 2 weeks to actually be able to get down there and pick the parts up. I work M-F midday shifts only, so if they aren't open late or on weekends, I am sunk. Partstree.com, if they have it in stock, will ship and I revieve it two days later. Boom. Why not? I have used a local dealer if I find that I don't have a big enough order to make shipping worth it.