Who’s making good round files 2019

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 6 pack Stihl files (I think older version,bought a few years ago) with description Rundfeile 5,2mm x 200mm here. On the side is written Made in Portugal. So which file manufactor produces in Portugal?

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 6 pack Stihl files (I think older version,bought a few years ago) with description Rundfeile 5,2mm x 200mm here. On the side is written Made in Portugal. So which file manufactor produces in Portugal?

Bahco I believe

Got a few of those also

Nowadays this brand also sold at major Supermarkets

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

My Save Edge flat raker files are labeled as made in Portugal and I have to say I am not overly impressed by them

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Eddie Southgate

One Step Ahead Of The Law
Local time
8:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Southern Middle Tennessee and Hillsboro Alabama
Country flag
https://apsbarshop.com/product/pferd-chainsaw-file-732/ For exellent sharpening. And good quality. Very rare you get a bad file of the smoot cut files

I looked at that , kinda strange . Says they are on sale at $8 for a box of six but their web site says " Under Construction , Not taking any orders " . Looks like a great deal , the Nicholson files I use match the description of the smooth spiral cut they offer . Also all the files they list show to be their Classic rather than the spiral cut . Maybe Nicholson is getting their files from Pferd rather than the plant in Mexico ?

Last edited:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sucks when you buy a dozen files that turn out to be chitty. I only buy them by the doz so you wanna pick good ones.

That's one reason I don't have a problem just buying Stihl 3 packs of 7/32" round files

The ACE hardware where I get them sells all sizes for less than $5 a 3 pack and you probably aren't going to get a chitty Stihl file

I lucked out with a dozen Save Edge 5/32" files for my little saw

They cut fine and last about average but the raker files I got at the same time suck (as mentioned above)

No more Save Edge for me thank you very much

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pferd have been the most consistant for me in my small test sample. I've bought dozen of 5/32 3/16 13/64 7/32 and some single single bevel chisel bit files & ALL we're decent. Actually a dozen is 2x6pack which is good cause you get 6-smooth & 6-coarse. Save edge have been pretty ordinary, not terrible but not great, got I think 3 dozen of them. I've had good Vallorbes both in round & square. But its funny the best raker files I got were from Taiwan I got 2 dozen and they were top notch and pretty cheap. Nicholsen I've had mixed results some good some no so. Oberg were good. I think they can all make bad batches if the hardening process doesn't work out right but I've yet to have a poor Pferd file. I'm cautious and don't buy too many in case their not good but if they are really good you wish you ordered more!lol. All this was important when I'd file everyday after work for an hour+. Now...with a few hundred chains in rotation, I just use the grinder once or twice a week and get em all done. I couldn't believe how bad my hand filing got when I filed a few chains a few months ago & hadn't used a file for near 2 years. Now I'll file a few every couple of weeks just to maintain some skill.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think they can all make bad batches if the hardening process doesn't work out right

I think you are absolutely correct on this score

No different than encountering a cutter or 2 on a chain that was buried at the bottom of the pile as they went through heat treating or something and doesn't remotely resemble the rest of the cutters

I think that's why some of you guys are mystified when we hate on a certain brand of file

You got the good dozen and we got the chitty

I think Pferd are as close to "buy without worry" as you can get

Last edited:

gurwald

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like pferd premium line, cut really fast and smooth.
Left is premium and right is their classic line.
Cant say if they are worth it but this is a hobby to me so its mostly for fun anyway.

20200410_133606.jpg