When there's too much ash........

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
According to Utah Forestry Extension, Per cord 4x4x8, figures are in million BTUs. Green Ash has 20.0, White Ash 24.2, Red Oak 24.6 and White Oak 29.1. All species seem to be dying or under stress around Michigan. Beetles, Wilt, Bores, Aphids, Fungus and whatever else is out there.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
According to the loggers around here, the mills are still paying good prices for ash, as long as it's straight and still alive - it can be infected, but can't be dead. But, they don't want anything smaller than about 15-18" on the small end, depending on the mill. According to one logger I talked to, if the bark is starting to show any signs of dropping, I might as well cut it for firewood, since he can't take it. We're a little behind the curve for the beetle compared to some of you guys in the midwest, so hopefully I can get my fill of the beautiful white firewood before it's gone.

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mills won't take it here. All dead!
Hard on mill saws. Super farwood..
I just take da big stuff, super hot! Long lasting and burns clean..

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's only one small hardwood mill in this area .They have ash logs galore .I don't think they give much for it but in my opinion they don't give much for anything .Probably less than what it would bring for firewood .

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Many saw mills will now not take ash logs under any circumstances. They have been instructed that if pallets are made with ash, it might spread the emerald ash bore insect. Hard to believe in my book.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As I understand it once the tree is dead it can no longer supply nutrition for the EAB larva so they leave .In addition to that when the moving of firewood in the state of Ohio came into effect it only covered firewood.Saw logs and lumber as I understand it was not under that ban .

That mill I mention has a pretty good sized pile of ash logs all peeled no bark .I only assume they use a carbide insert circular saw as the main break down saw.

I have no idea how the do ash but on those big oak logs they have them under a water spray system .However ash in the log will retain some moisture in larger logs.Not as much however as a white oak log

I'm not a lumber man but I would think no more than they are paying for the logs any above normal wear on the carbines would more than be compensated by low priced logs .I haven't checked prices for a long time but it would not surprise me if it were 2 and up per board foot,planed,one side straight .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing I don't know how you would use ash to build anything using conventional fastening methods .I've tried an air nailer with hard nails on trim stuff and it's about like plate steel,won't punch them through .You either have to use a nail spinner or drill a pilot hole.

Can you imagine trying to frame a pole building or something ?It would last forever but my Lord it would take you a month of Sundays to frame it

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The wood of choice for trailer decks, at least in these parts..

Is it preferred over white oak, or is that not available? I think most people up here prefer oak for the rot resistance, but I suppose you'd get some decent weight savings with ash.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Every wood has a usage .I know at one time in the days of ear corn before shellers they liked ash for wagon sides .Made the tongues of elm because where oak would break if you ran over it with a tractor elm would bend .

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing I don't know how you would use ash to build anything using conventional fastening methods .I've tried an air nailer with hard nails on trim stuff and it's about like plate steel,won't punch them through .You either have to use a nail spinner or drill a pilot hole.

Can you imagine trying to frame a pole building or something ?It would last forever but my Lord it would take you a month of Sundays to frame it

Little tip with using an air nailer with hardwood. Dip the nail clip tips in oil before you load them.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing: I don't know how you would use ash to build anything using conventional fastening methods. I've tried an air nailer with hard nails on trim stuff and it's about like plate steel -- won't punch them through. You either have to use a nail spinner or drill a pilot hole.

Can you imagine trying to frame a pole building or something? It would last forever, but my Lord it would take you a month of Sundays to frame it.
I never try to nail through ash. You might be able to sink in screws, but usually even that requires a pilot hole at least in the first piece being connected. I have often wished that my house was built using ash. The extra time and skill required makes that cost prohibitive, even if I could buy the ash for the same price as pine.

G

Greenerpastures

I wish we had the problem of too much wood here in Ireland, our dopy government gave a company
the task of looking after our resources, this company sell all the wood to who every wants it, they
pocket the money, and the state gets poorer.

Regarding the ash, I would burn it during the times I was around so I could keep firing it into the stove,
and come night when its time to unwind, use a better wood with more BTU 's.

People say not to burn mixed wood as it burns at different temperatures, and causes issues
regarding the available air and its flow, I have not experienced this as its never really cold enough
here to tell whether there is a problem going on.

Here on the news today our dumplings are talking about the environment, so we are in for more stupid
laws that usually result in everything going up in price as we head for a more greener environment.

Happy times to all, while your still free to enjoy the life the good Lord gave us.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Lap joints, chainsaw. Tongue and groove, maybe. Dowel pinned trusses and post, you betcha. Bolted or bracketed hardware. Steel bits will chew right through it. Ash would make nice fat light weight beam. Considering building a custom shop with what I can find out there. Lots of quality large hardwoods around here. Fair amount of pines, red cedar and others. Ever heard of a firewood bogga? I may be the new tree trunk bugga.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Believe it or not, my newest customer asked me, "Edwin, does ash make good firewood?"

I was in disbelief. I said, "Well, we ran a survey a few years back among firewood sellers and ash was rated #1. It actually outdistanced oak because it dries rapidly and is easy to light, burns with no sparks, and has good density."

I find it rather amazing at how little some customers know about the firewood they are buying. This customer says he was burning "garbage wood" in his fireplace, so I figure he's in for a surprise when I deliver to him a mixture of seasoned ash, elm, hard maple, oak, and locust, all of which are mostly splits.

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Believe it or not, my newest customer asked me, "Edwin, does ash make good firewood?"

I was in disbelief. I said, "Well, we ran a survey a few years back among firewood sellers and ash was rated #1. It actually outdistanced oak because it dries rapidly and is easy to light, burns with no sparks, and has good density."

I find it rather amazing at how little some customers know about the firewood they are buying. This customer says he was burning "garbage wood" in his fireplace, so I figure he's in for a surprise when I deliver to him a mixture of seasoned ash, elm, hard maple, oak, and locust, all of which are mostly splits.
People are crazy. I know a guy that hates burning ash he would rather have wet oak that he thinks is ready.I have no ash in my area to cut.

Dasmoose

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I remember wen we used to have big healthy ash trees in our woods there was one that was close to 3' in diameter we cut one winter before we had our little case loader. We would cut it into medallions and load them in the back of the old f150 didn't take many to put that thing on the axle.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the option tomorrow to deliver a whole 5 x 8 wagon load of split dry elm because I have a good supply if it. But, the best bet in my book is to mix that elm with ash, oak, hard maple, or locust. The combination makes for fabulous fires. Yes, I said wagon load. I broke down and bought an old 5 x 8 heavy duty wagon with 15" wheels. I decided to give my pickup truck a little relief. I could almost hear the engine and shocks breathe a sigh of relief.

Last edited:

Jutt77

New OPE Member
Local time
4:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I noticed a few times that I'd get home to a nice bed of coals but the house just wasn't as warm as it usually would be. That theory sound right?

I've scrounged some EAB Ash from the city and noticed that it does seem to produce "cooler" coals then say Honey Locust (best Denver firewood). Also seems that the coals don't fully turn to ash with that wood...the irony.