What's your choice?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a chance to grab a couple truck loads of green firewood to season for 2019.
Both of them are free of charge, but here is the kicker.
I can only nab one species per the landowner!:rolleyes:
I've asked him a couple times why I can't mix em...and he just goes into a demented diatribe!:nono::cursing::cursing2::icon_domokun:
Shagbark Hickory or Honey Locust!!!
I've burnt bunches of black locust and a little
shagbark...not real familiar with Honey Locust.
I know that carpenter ants seem to have a real passion for the black locust.

Which one would you studs choose?:confundio::confundio1:

Last edited:

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I had to choose one I'd probably snag the hickory as well. Although black locust is damn good to have in the mix, just wouldn't want to burn just that.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I had to choose one I'd probably snag the hickory as well. Although black locust is damn good to have in the mix, just wouldn't want to burn just that.
Thanks Rob, any particular reason you'd not want to burn the locust exclusively?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep...green & seasoned hickory do a great job on the old smoker!:hambre::icon_domokun:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seasoned black locust will throw a blue flame like natural gas .Having said that it and hickory are probably the highest btu fire wood there is .If you cut to the chase they all burn and produce heat .BTW in case you don't know ants are fond of fresh cut hickory also .Once it's dry they leave it alone .Tip spray down a fresh stacked pile with sevin dust and water and watch ants die by the thousands .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now an ant story .I had a dead ash in my woods I had to top before the fall because it would have taken the top out of a nice walnut if I didn't .So there I am 60 foot up in a bucket truck with a 200T Stihl dropping down the top a piece at I time and I get attacked by little pizz ants .It isn't like I could bail out .Little bastages .
Once I topped it the bottom was full of carpenter ants .Two types of ants in the same tree .However I ended up with about a cord and a half of firewood and about 30 feet of clear saw log in spite of the danged things .