Whats Your BIG 3?

brushwacker

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not very picky. Dead trees that are dry enough to burn efficiently are my favorite. Don't like to see trees wasted that are taken down or need thinned. During the dead of winter i like to have denser woods ( white oak , black locust, hickory) on hand to stoke the fire when gone for several hours or overnight but softer woods work fine in milder weather or when i am in the house for longer periods. Have plenty of better woods that need used up so i rarely use cottenwood or willow, way more ashes,handling, and drying for about 1/2 the heat. I do like a little dry pine on hand. It makes a warm fire hot in a hurry in cold weather and i like the smell. Avoid using it in a cold chimney and creosote isn't a problem.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Burning mostly silver maple right now till I get to the oak and locust. My one complaint about silver maple is it doesn’t leave a great coal bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes I'll sneak in one split of the good stuff on the bottom of my fire, then throw junky wood on top. The junky wood kind of ashes over and insulates the good stuff, and leaves a brick of charcoal for me to dig up and use for my next coal bed.

Probably wouldn't work on an open grate, but on a brick lined furnace, it seems to do well.

Boots

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Boots

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yup sucks bad. I haven’t found EAB in my stand yet but they’ve been found 15 miles from me. They’re on their way:mad:.
I've read articles stating the reason for the outbreak of beetles is in large part due to not having any major forest fires in a long time. Idk how true that is but seems logical.

morewood

Mr. Awesome
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dead locust
Dying locust
Down locust

Most of it has started to die around here. On some that have matured you find a fungus inside. I do leave the decent ones up in the hope that they will make it. I have ended up with lots of red oak and hickory this year. My OWB doesn't care much, burns it all.

Mr Awesome

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Standing dead, dry Doug Fir, really recently fallen over dry Doug Fir, and really old, still standing Doug Fir, just because you asked for three.

Bugger all for hardwoods around here worth chasing after for firewood, and WAY too much standing dead bug bit fir around, so it is, and always will be, Doug Fir for firewood.

There are still a few bug killed pine around from when the pine bark beetles blew through, but most of them have rotted off at ground level and are laying on the ground going punky. Makes a swell burn pile, but not much of a firewood.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
White Oak, Hickory and Hard Maple in no particular order. Have good access to all three. Red Oak is great if you allow time for seasoning. Chestnut Oak, often called Rock Oak around here is good and like White Oak seasons quicker than the red. Lot's of Red and Chestnut around here as well.

3 that I also would rank high are Locust, Beech and Yellow Birch. Reason they didn't make my list is that I hardly ever run across them. Especially like the Yellow Birch; burns great and smells great.

Not far behind are Cherry and Ash. We have a stupid amount of Ash up this way from the EAB. Been burning almost nothing else so far this year and it's doing the job. I tend to leave the Ash splits a little bigger than the other stuff, and it helps close the gap regarding burn time.

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dang all these middle/eastern burners.

PNW I’d say Doug fir, big leaf maple, and red alder. Alder is very mild mannered and doesn’t pop and shoot embers everywhere like fit but doesn’t put off the same heat. Luckily we have an abundance of all 3 so whatever is easiest to come by works for me.

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Locust, Red Oak, and Juniper. If you've never burned juniper it's kind of scary, super slow growing and hard as a rock. I had a big chunk from near the base that was like rock hard fat wood and burned like coal. I was seriously scared I was going to burn the whole house down.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Locust, Red Oak, and Juniper. If you've never burned juniper it's kind of scary, super slow growing and hard as a rock. I had a big chunk from near the base that was like rock hard fat wood and burned like coal. I was seriously scared I was going to burn the whole house down.
:eek::flaming: