What's wrong with the MS661?

blackjack99574

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bought mine from red bull and had issues until he sent me the "a" coil and no more issues. Saw runs amazing and wouldnt change it for a older 066 or 660. I have had a dozen of both for cutting and bucking. They can be great saws when set up proper but they dont run as well as my 661 nor as smooth. I still keep a 066 around that runs great but it dont get the action the 661 does. Red bull did his homework and figured these 661s out. If you want a proven 661 talk to him. You wont be disappointed.

blackjack99574

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If anyone is looking for a great running 661 I would highly recommend redbull661 to see if he has one for sale. I've bought a couple saws from him and am always happy I bought the saw from him. He makes sure all the bugs are worked out and the saw is running great. I've made many transactions with him over the years. It's always a pleasure dealing with him.

2stroker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say the bar nuts were not tight enough for the force that you had put on it, may have felt tight but must have slid and broke the tensioner, on long bars I tighten the tensioner then the bar nuts then back off the tensioner so there isn’t any load on the tensioner...

I was at one of my favorite Stihl dealers as he was prepping a 660 for a local feller a while back. Before he put the bar cover on he sanded the cover where the bar contacts it! I had to ask why.
" To keep the bar from moving" Thought about that for bit and it makes sense.
Let's see, bar plate seems almost polished, the bar is nicely painted on both sides and the cover is power coated! Add some bar oil and lowish rakers and what could go wrong??
2stroker

460 magnum

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I was at one of my favorite Stihl dealers as he was prepping a 660 for a local feller a while back. Before he put the bar cover on he sanded the cover where the bar contacts it! I had to ask why.
" To keep the bar from moving" Thought about that for bit and it makes sense.
Let's see, bar plate seems almost polished, the bar is nicely painted on both sides and the cover is power coated! Add some bar oil and lowish rakers and what could go wrong??
2stroker

Makes sense.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't know if I let you in on the new 2 me, 18 month old 661. The cases just need be good. 250 mi round trip, $550, HL had sale on max flo & $10 Ms-180 cylinder set now if they will just have 660 crankshaft on sale before it's needed. And the thing wrong with 661c , that short stroke will be corrected. Can you say Milling saw:risas3::campeon:

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't know if I let you in on the new 2 me, 18 month old 661. The cases just need be good. 250 mi round trip, $550, HL had sale on max flo & $10 Ms-180 cylinder set now if they will just have 660 crankshaft on sale before it's needed. And the thing wrong with 661c , that short stroke will be corrected. Can you say Milling saw:risas3::campeon:
The 661c ported , that I got from trading post shipped for a grand, and I muff mod. The saw was almost unused. Early spring it became broke in and is impressing me since.20190810_170809.jpg