High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

What's the best hutzl kit?

LondonNeil

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Surely this had been discussed, but my limited search didn't pick anything up. Which is the best hutzl kit to build a decent saw? I don't mind what saw, except I don't want another ms180 as I already have one (OEM), and maybe not an 038 which I also have, but any of the others. I don't mind swapping a few parts for OEM or other AM either, in order to make a saw that could, hopefully, give decent service.

Suspect I'll not get consensus but.....?

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd have to agree with psuiewalsh...660. Not all are great...but people have made great runners out of them. Minor tweaks...oem seals/rubber parts.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@p61 western
I know you didn't build a 660 but on you're huztl 372 if i recall the clutch drum being out of round was you're only issue or was there other issues.
Do you still like it.

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 044/440 had lots of issues. I would skip that kit

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think getting cross cylinder here in the uk would be a bit costly, ive never seen them here or do not know who makes them so cant go direct..
there are other am cylinders but which are better is a bit of a guess.

edit
btw: op is in uk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't know about the shipping to UK, but I agree with Jim's statement 100%.

I have the Cross P&C on an 066 and on my Flying Tiger (AM 660), and am currently building 2 more AM 660s with them.

The only parts I replaced (or did not use) on my Flying Tiger were the piston pin clips, the chain adjuster, and I replaced the Fuel Cap. Everything else is as it came with the kit. (Note: I cleaned up the bevels in the cylinder).

These things run a good deal stronger than a stock 660, and I've done some milling with mine.

LondonNeil

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cheers Mike, I hoped you'd add some thoughts. I've not done an extensive search but I found the cross mmws 660 54 mm cylinder on eBay.com (but not co.uk yet). Cheapest seller I found was just over $60 and it looked like intentional shipping would add just over $20 to that, which didn't seem too bad. Although if I went this route I might be tempted to use the Hutzl p and c initially then think of upgrading. Found the Cross website but not asked for a price from them direct. Noticed they do 038 super cylinders too, but annoyingly no Magnum cylinder....free a combined postage to save a few pounds might have pushed me to upgrade the 038 super at the same time.

No 250 comments? Tbh I'd never have a need for a 660, but a 250 would likely see a great deal of use. However I'm considering the build more for the fun of learning and putting a saw together than to get a saw I need, just it would be ideal to have a decent saw at the end, and if that were a saw I could use then double bonus.

LondonNeil

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Bit more searching and I've found the cross 54mm cylinder on eBay.co.uk. it's shipping from a us seller still but it confirms the price and that they will ship.

Slight thread detour, but then it must be ok on my thread, I've noticed there's a big bore 56mm p and c for the 660 too, proline, any good? Not cheap, $80+.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Send a PM to Bruce for the package deal (AM 660 + Cross P+C). Go to the Chinese 660 section and look for the thread to buy one.

The real 250s I have seen don't cut worth a crap, but perhaps it is the B&C, but I would have no desire to have one, I'm spoiled!

You may not need a 660, but they are strong, reliable saws, and the price/performance is unbeatable.

Plus, that is the kit that I think they "have down" the best. Other kits have issues, and I'm not familiar with the 250.

LondonNeil

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cheers Mike, that is exactly what I want, the best hutzl kit. I really do just want the kit to build it for fun, the challenge, I'm viewing it like a model build but that it would be nice to have a decent saw at the end. I could almost see myself ebaying the finished saw unused, although I suspect the urge to keep it and try it would be hard to resist.