What's on your bench?

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back when I thought I was going to have a working dyno I accumulated a big pile of 350's in preparation for some major testing.
I've done more grinding on 350/353 cylinders than probably everything else I've done combined, was just a cheap, easy, available platform to experiment on.

My feeling is that it's the transfer caps, specifically outer/upper transfer area that would need something to get that cylinder near the 346 type level.
That desirable ? mark profile is just too shallow to get an efficient entry into the cylinder.
I'd thought of making deeper transfer caps or even blobbing a significant amount of jb over the stock ones and hogging them way out and then also filling in the inside of the bridge to match.

But when cheap aftermarket 346 p&c clones started showing up everywhere it sort of killed that idea and now that oem 346 top ends are under a 100 there's even less incentive.

I'd still like to do one up that way just to see...

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Optical delusion on my part, or is the center jug smaller bore and port?
Illusion. They are all 52mm MS460 Cylinders awaiting finishing. Fingers and uppers roughed in. Many many more hours left.

I hate doing multiple jugs at once. I’ll get these to 90%, no bevel finishing or port texture finishing, then do last touches on each saw in case things need to change.

These aren’t popup pistons. I machine each 272 piston crown for perfect squish. Each owner gets notified of the piston height should it need replacement some day.

07338BB1-46A7-4016-92CF-658330678D5F.jpeg

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Pics of the "mill"?

Its partially disassembled at the moment, but I will snap a couple.

Its nothing spectacular: a “drill press” designed for the dremel, I reinforced the mount for the dremel as it flexed too much for my liking. Swapped out the adjustable height rod for a solid piece of stock. Drilled some holes and mounted a cheapo X, Y axis vise to the base. Its not at all anything resembling perfect, but with a gentle touch, going slow and not being greedy it works fine.

Just like any other piece of precision equipment (ha! Its a dremel drill press!!) it needs to be leveled and plumb. Once that is done and locked down i square the cyl in the jaws via measurement. I set the mill up and locked it all down on its own bench, that way I didn’t have set it up all over again. Obviously I verified the level and plumb before every use. It works fine for what it is: i have milled 12-14 cylinders, 5 rifles, 2 glock slides, some sight bases, scope rings and random crap around the garage.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I also know a guy who did something similar with a drill press, but not how you think. He set up the drillpress as his chuck and mounts his spindles and work piece in it. He then uses a x,y vise mounted on a screw adjuster for up and down and mounts his dremel in the vise. It looks goofy but works pretty darn good.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
7:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its partially disassembled at the moment, but I will snap a couple.

Its nothing spectacular: a “drill press” designed for the dremel, I reinforced the mount for the dremel as it flexed too much for my liking. Swapped out the adjustable height rod for a solid piece of stock. Drilled some holes and mounted a cheapo X, Y axis vise to the base. Its not at all anything resembling perfect, but with a gentle touch, going slow and not being greedy it works fine.

Just like any other piece of precision equipment (ha! Its a dremel drill press!!) it needs to be leveled and plumb. Once that is done and locked down i square the cyl in the jaws via measurement. I set the mill up and locked it all down on its own bench, that way I didn’t have set it up all over again. Obviously I verified the level and plumb before every use. It works fine for what it is: i have milled 12-14 cylinders, 5 rifles, 2 glock slides, some sight bases, scope rings and random crap around the garage.

Cool. I need a space saving option. Don't have a garage, just a small shop/work area.

ranchdadmike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Illusion. They are all 52mm MS460 Cylinders awaiting finishing. Fingers and uppers roughed in. Many many more hours left.

I hate doing multiple jugs at once. I’ll get these to 90%, no bevel finishing or port texture finishing, then do last touches on each saw in case things need to change.

These aren’t popup pistons. I machine each 272 piston crown for perfect squish. Each owner gets notified of the piston height should it need replacement some day.

View attachment 154152

Individualized works of art [emoji33]

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cool. I need a space saving option. Don't have a garage, just a small shop/work area.

10D77764-3D69-4163-99E0-1E3285B7EB53.jpeg B0F83575-F890-4E1C-88CE-D7966C0A5935.jpeg

The x,y axis mounts to the base with 4 bolts so its solid. I reinforced the base as well as the mount itself so there isn’t much flexion in the plastic. Like I said; slow, gentle and don’t be greedy! It works just fine.

EDB0F111-EC2E-47B5-BD7B-516E0C04F3BA.jpeg

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Innovative, I like it!

Thanks. Nothing different than what a lot of people do with a drill press. The problem with the drill press is the chucks are typically a taper mount and have been know to come loose with a lateral load on it.

Again, its a dremel: not going to be able to mill or machine a bar with it, but cutting a base is feasible if you go slow and don’t expect to take 0.10 in a single pass

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. Nothing different than what a lot of people do with a drill press. The problem with the drill press is the chucks are typically a taper mount and have been know to come loose with a lateral load on it.

Again, its a dremel: not going to be able to mill or machine a bar with it, but cutting a base is feasible if you go slow and don’t expect to take 0.10 in a single pass
I should try using my router table!

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I should try using my router table!

Not sure if thats feasible. I know I can adjust the speed on my router, but I think its still too fast to use it safely. Cutting wood and polymers is one thing but the metal is pretty unforgiving. I would not want to be holding that cylinder in my hand when trying to push it over the bit

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not on my bench yet but was thinking of building the farmertec clone of the 038 has anyone built one yet and if so what was you feelings about it? And of course I'll be doing my port work to it. :coleman::beer-toast1: