Local time
8:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice. I have a Noveske Chainsaw upper with a 16” melonited barrel lead farmer wanted to try with ALG rail and Noveske flaming pig flash hider. I was going to go 13.7” barrel and pin the pig, but I got talked out of it. It’s a poor mans SBR.

I love the old Noveske stuff, excellent quality, since he died it seems to have lost some QC. I have had a bunch of different barrels and muzzle devices and have continuously gone back to LaRue. Fit and finish is fantastic, the accuracy is almost boring, i like the heaviness of the Stealth barrels as it helps the balance and evens out follow on shots.

Never like the Flaming Pig. I know a lot of people who run them and just can’t get behind them. I personally prefer a brake style muzzle device, if its going to be there make it work for you. If you really want to go “poor man’s sbr” without a stamp, get a 10.5” barrel and one of the fake cans which are 5 5/8” long. As long as your handguard has a large enough ID, you can effectively run a 15.5” handguard and the entire barrel and muzzle device are shrouded.

As for worry about accuracy and velocity out of a short barrel, i have shot over 600yds with no loss of accuracy. Velocity out of a better quality barrel will be better than a low end barrel. Tighter tolerances equals higher pressure and more velocity.

Last edited:

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love the old Noveske stuff, excellent quality, since he died it seems to have lost some QC. I have had a bunch of different barrels and muzzle devices and have continuously gone back to LaRue. Fit and finish is fantastic, the accuracy is almost boring, i like the heaviness of the Stealth barrels as it helps the balance and evens out follow on shots.

Never like the Flaming Pig. I know a lot of people who run them and just can’t get behind them. I personally prefer a brake style muzzle device, if its going to be there make it work for you. If you really want to go “poor man’s sbr” without a stamp, get a 10.5” barrel and one of the fake cans which are 5 5/8” long. As long as your handguard has a large enough ID, you can effectively run a 15.5” handguard and the entire barrel and muzzle device are shrouded.

Best thing about the flaming pig is the noise is more forward. It will throw a big flame at night.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They likely ran the 441 low on fuel and kept trying to start it and it went into "rich protective mode" like it does for an air leak. Hold the throttle all the way open and pull the rope, I'll bet it will start.

Unless you can get it "re set", it will take a several tanks of fuel to fix itself.

What is this reset you talk about. I have read it in past but cant recall it off hand.

Will be dumping his mix etc today to go through. It did start finally but dang I would be pizzed if it were my saw.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The dealer can do a reset that you can not do yourself (a few know how to do it).

If the saw runs, you can do a reset yourself. On that version I believe you leave it on Start for 90 seconds, then shut it off, then start it in Run and leave it for 90 seconds, then shut it off, then cut some big wood.

What did you do to get it running? If it was just flooded (someone used Start position when the saw was warm) I would not re set it, it should just work itself out. Even with a carbed saw, if someone floods it, they can be very hard to start, same difference!

Glad to hear it is running, the hard part is over!

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anybody have any luck with Faxxon products?

Just like any other manufacturer they have good and bad stuff. I did 2 builds with Faxon upper/lower sets and barrels. I wasn’t overly impressed for the pricepoint. I would have gone to Aero precision for a monolithic builder set for $50 more. I have heard good things about their barrels, but I don’t buy into all the fancy “weight reduction fluting” on barrels. Most people don’t understand the amount of energy and harmonics in the barrel, if either or both are not properly managed it can result in poor performance and possible failures. Ever wonder how much energy we are talking about? Search slo-mo vids of rifle shooting and watch the flexion of a standard rifle barrel.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
5:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just like any other manufacturer they have good and bad stuff. I did 2 builds with Faxon upper/lower sets and barrels. I wasn’t overly impressed for the pricepoint. I would have gone to Aero precision for a monolithic builder set for $50 more. I have heard good things about their barrels, but I don’t buy into all the fancy “weight reduction fluting” on barrels. Most people don’t understand the amount of energy and harmonics in the barrel, if either or both are not properly managed it can result in poor performance and possible failures. Ever wonder how much energy we are talking about? Search slo-mo vids of rifle shooting and watch the flexion of a standard rifle barrel.
I have a AR 10 build I started , and then put on the back burner. I got a non fluted Faxon 18 inch barrel. It's a Aero m5 upper. I'm trying to decide who's bcg to use. I'm thinking probably Faxon. What's your thoughts?

Sty57

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a AR 10 build I started , and then put on the back burner. I got a non fluted Faxon 18 inch barrel. It's a Aero m5 upper. I'm trying to decide who's bcg to use. I'm thinking probably Faxon. What's your thoughts?
My thoughts are, you should just send it all to me....... Dibz!

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have been going with NiB coated bcg and have liked them alot more. I am running an Armalite bolt in my Big10 and its ok, not great. I really like the Aero enhanced uppers. I have a buddy who runs a FA Suppressed Aero and uses the aero bcg, had to go to a Seekins adjustable gas block to get it to run at all. Not blaming the BCG or the barrel, just something to think about. I personally like the adjustable gas blocks and the Seekins is nice low profile

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been going with NiB coated bcg and have liked them alot more. I am running an Armalite bolt in my Big10 and its ok, not great. I really like the Aero enhanced uppers. I have a buddy who runs a FA Suppressed Aero and uses the aero bcg, had to go to a Seekins adjustable gas block to get it to run at all. Not blaming the BCG or the barrel, just something to think about. I personally like the adjustable gas blocks and the Seekins is nice low profile
I need to dig all the stuff out, and go through it. I can't remember if I got a gas block yet or not. Thanks for sharing your tips and experiences. Forgot all about Seekins, and will go that route if I don't have one already.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
MM nothing I did. I just took breaks and kept pulling till fired. Have no clue it came in this way.

Might have come in flooded dont know. After I get done with it and the Tus 20" bar comes in I am going to run it and my 445 project together.

I was surprised by this I thought they felt same. My 445 feels same with both having fluids. But PHO empty it shows more in my weight thread.

2 different folks 441 weights and Rogers 445 weight. I have 4 of the 445 I have bought to have the cylinder for the 1 good one. 2 have bad cranks 2 run now. My fav 70.7cc saw in the cuts right now.

s441cweight.jpg s441cmweight.jpg p445weight.png

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I need to dig all the stuff out, and go through it. I can't remember if I got a gas block yet or not. Thanks for sharing your tips and experiences. Forgot all about Seekins, and will go that route if I don't have one already.

Let me know if you need anything else. I know people have preferences and opinions of brands and manufacturers (much like here) but I’m not a specific brand fan boy. I do prefer LaRue for mounts. They are excellent especially for the price. I also REALLY like the MBT trigger. There is/was a LaRue-Geissele war going on over triggers. After shooting with both i prefer the MBT, especially for $80. But, to each their own.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let me know if you need anything else. I know people have preferences and opinions of brands and manufacturers (much like here) but I’m not a specific brand fan boy. I do prefer LaRue for mounts. They are excellent especially for the price. I also REALLY like the MBT trigger. There is/was a LaRue-Geissele war going on over triggers. After shooting with both i prefer the MBT, especially for $80. But, to each their own.
Thank you, and I will let you know for sure. No brand loyalty or fan boy stuff here. A good product is just that no matter what brand.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
7:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My thoughts are, you should just send it all to me....... Dibz!
Hey Brian. Question. Awhile back, maybe a few months, the FIRST time i put a piston in the 2159:rolleyes:.....well its back on the bench. I believe it was u that had posted a pic of some grinding work on the lower transfers? If my memory is correct and it was u, by chance do u have that handy?:D After endless hours of googling and scanning through this thread im over it...figured i would just ask nicely. Pretty pretty please;)