Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
1:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
K I got the circlip in.
Took some manhandling and my trusty ice pick.
I bent one and was trying real hard not to f the other.

I thank you for the help.
I Saw the vshape screw driver and I like it.

I had this saw assembled and running.
It’s my 1st real tear down.

It passed vac and pressure tests and ran, then I thought better of it.
and I replaced a questionable circlip, adjusted ignition coil with a business card, and replaced a dodgy decomp.

Still holds pressure.
Won’t hold vacuum.

Wtf?!?!

I really want this saw done.
Vacuum is probably sucking the decomp in.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Got these two built last night, the 254 got split, new seals,bearings, gasket and a oem piston and a hda87 carb. The 261 got upgraded to a 262 piston and muffler I had here have another hda87 for it but I have to take it apart and put the new kit in it first, for now I trimmed the limiters on the 144. Pic is in my garage cause it was raining to hard to adjust them outside and my shop is in my basement.IMG-20180918-WA0000.jpeg

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
12:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used it a couple times but since then I never have. Collects alot of debris in the bearings with the grease.
See i was thinking the same thing.....but is the manufactuer saying bar oil is purely not enough to lube the nose sprocket? Im on the fence about this one. Its like a good maintenance vs bad maintenance topic.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't lubricate bar sprockets … period!

IMO, use a good bar oil and you should be fine. I like the TS stuff, now $7/gal (used to be $6), but still a great deal. I have cases of it.

I believe Steve was referring to the clutch drum bearing needing to be greased periodically. Husqvarna drills the crankshafts on most of their saws so that you can use a greaser with a tip on it to give that bearing a shot of grease every time you have the clutch cover off, On every Stihl I have ever seen you have to remove the clutch drum and grease the bearing by hand.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody try an hd12 on a 261/262...?

hd12.JPG

I converted/ported a 261 about 4 years ago and was somewhat underwhelmed with how it performed and just shelved it.
I finally pulled it back out to see what I could do with it, first thing was to ditch the 'little' hda 144 that was all I had available at the time.

I'm still short one carb for my pile of 261/262 projects, particularly with the bigger bore hda87's, but do have a couple 87's on running saws.
So I swapped one in and it did make a noticeable difference, so then on to find a permanent solution with something I'd have on hand.

An hd 12 bolts right up and the 261 throttle linkage goes right on and works fine in an existing hole with a few very minor tweeks to the wire. The h, l and la adjusters are upside down but still accessible through the existing holes.
372 choke lever sorta works through the heated handle switch hole, though it will work great with a notch in the top cover.
Air cleaner horn needs to be clearanced for the choke butterfly.

Biggest issue is the impulse, could've put a barb on the stock intake block or cylinder but didn't want to alter that stuff just to see if the carb worked out. Decided to make a quick n dirty belt sander/drill press/die grinder intake block, was surprisingly quick and easy.

My preliminary finding is that it performs as good or better than the hda 87, is available as cheap/aftermarket and hey, it's biggerer.
Just another option...

Last edited:

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What the heck is going on with Ope took a hour to get on here this morning.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess it's not safe to be on here right now for some reason? Mastermind have any ideas what's going on? It has something to do with the https.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag