Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
8:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep looking at deal of the day items every time I log in (daily), some great deals even if they are mostly for those "other brands that need constant fixing". :p
I looked once and it said 70$ shipping to Europe - just can't swallow that no matter how good a deal is.
I thought twice about purchasing that 36" chainsaw mill HLSupply had on sale the other day though. ;)

Members have to realize that those huge file size pictures most tend to upload take up excessive storage capacity and server throughput!
I know that most members just take a picture on their gadget at highest resolution/quality and upload it directly to the forum - but that hurts the forum in the long run.

I might get bashed for writing this, but on another forum I am on (not chainsaw/OPE related) the Administrators faced this same issue.
They switched to faster servers twice, but eventually implemented an automatic picture resize to the forum software.
I personally didn't like it at first, but I did realize why they went that route - although I still think that the automatic forum picture resize is set too low.

Fact is that some devices/gadgets behave wasteful in regards of storage when creating pictures.
I have a Panasonic digital camera that features 10MegaPixel picture resolution, I keep it set on 7 MegaPixel and each picture has a file size of 5 to 7 megabyte.
I realized that when I push those pictures through "Windows Resize Picture" and set the output resolution to be the same as the input resolution the file size drops to about 1-1.5 megabyte without noticeably hurting picture quality.
The "Windows Resize Picture" supports batch mode processing.
I have recompiled all pictures from that Panasonic camera and saved up several gigabytes on storage space.
My point is, many devices shoot and save pictures (and videos) fairly RAW - that way the manufacturers save on the devices processing resource requirements, can claim "fast shooting" and sell a bunch of "Cloud storage for Your pictures and videos".

Apologies for the derail.
Cheers :beer-toast1:

I see what your saying and I wonder if deleting old sale ads would help since there is loads of old pics in there.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
9:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Few of us got together and ran a few 60cc class saws yesterday. The biggest log isnt even in the pic. The one shown on stand started 16 wide and 14 tall but ended where we are in pic 16 x 16. The other one can take 28" buried. The biggest one is way bigger. But not for the small saws.

120 e590 362oecm hutzl036 380x2 357xp etc of the top of my head

Some snapped pics I wasnt aware of till today. :eek:

gtg1860ccctest.jpg gtg1860cctest.jpg

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This site already had auto pic resizing. Which I thought was great. Usually took them down to around 200-300 KB or smaller.

So did something change? Let me test.

Going to load 1meg pic and see if auto resize still works.

DSCF0460.JPG

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This site already had auto pic resizing. Which I thought was great. Usually took them down to around 200-300 KB or smaller.

So did something change? Let me test.

Going to load 1meg pic and see if auto resize still works.

View attachment 128972

Yep still works took it down to 137KB.
Then maybe it was disabled and got re-enabled?

I quite often see attached pictures in the 5+MB size, takes ages to load a thread featuring a bunch of those.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The OCD is strong with you!

Yes and no. I want the saw to last and to do it right the first time. Anything I can do to help with longevity, I’ll do it.

I did the same thing with the all the saws I work on, at least place some heat tape under the top cover and around the muffler to keep from discoloring the case. Only takes a couple minutes and if anything it makes me feel like I am doing something worthwhile. Maybe its snake-oil, maybe its not.