Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Replacing electrical connectors on a pos can-am atv today.

Figured give another little tip to those who might not know. If you have to use a crimp on connector or splice. Strip a extra bit off and fold it back over (or double it over like I had to do on this one). This will usually be in further than your crimp. But what it does is make the wire practically impossible to pull out of the connector. Personally I prefer to solder and shrink tube, but that's not always a option.

View attachment 211139

Steven

Edit: really hate working on atvs!

Here around saltwater we use clean wire , uninsulated crimp connectors, and adheasive lined heat shrink.

The uninsulated connectors are cheaper and make sure you use a good crimp tool for uninsulated connectors.
Insulated connectors should be crimped with the proper tool that doesn't penetrate the insulation. they tend to not hold the wire as tightly.

Uninsulated connector covered With adheasive lined heat shrink is sealed and strong.
buyheatshrink.com is good and cheap.

Solder adds another metal to the mix and corrosion never sleeps.

A tight fitting connector is vital. Use the smallest size connector for the wire.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
5:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here around saltwater we use clean wire , uninsulated crimp connectors, and adheasive lined heat shrink.

The uninsulated connectors are cheaper and make sure you use a good crimp tool for uninsulated connectors.
Insulated connectors should be crimped with the proper tool that doesn't penetrate the insulation. they tend to not hold the wire as tightly.

Uninsulated connector covered With adheasive lined heat shrink is sealed and strong.
buyheatshrink.com is good and cheap.

Solder adds another metal to the mix and corrosion never sleeps.

A tight fitting connector is vital. Use the smallest size connector for the wire.

Bingo! Same deal at work. We dont solder anything. We use the exact same bare crimp setup. It's definitely more solid than butt splicing. And the splices with the adhesive tube already on are great for tight spaces. So I keep them on hand as well. But most avg Joe's don't have the assortment of what you or I have on hand. Heck most the time people bring me stuff it's wire nutted or worse......

On the quads, bikes and vehicles I usually solder and shrink tube. Just a ocd thing on my personal stuff.

And the guys that haven't used the adhesive lined shrink tube. Go out and get you some! You will never use the cheap stuff again.

Steven

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow! The Mac q port on a Stihl
Was told it was a great runner. Still runs...just won’t oil for some reason. Lol

That was what I was thinking. That thing sure had a run in with something, eh.
tree twisted on the stump..spun 90...then butt smashed the saw

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
6:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Battery top up day. The one on the right i keep on the spare battery tray in the truck for the winter so if someone or myself needs a boost. I put new battery in truck last winter so i should be good....
99d2b1735ebd64b63d8fcbec4c94141d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk