What's on your bench?

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m about to throw this thing across the shop! Pressure and vac tested perfect after I put new boot on and recessed the partition wall part of the crank cases. Taped Saran Wrap to the crank case sealing the crank from any chips and worked with a vacuum to pull chips while reliving that part so it wasn’t pushing up on the plastic of the partition wall. Tuned it and it idled fine for quite a while made several test cuts and boom all of a sudden it ran away in the cut just as hot and high as you please. Pretty sure i see streaks on the intake side through the exhaust port. New fuel line,filter, carb kit and carb run for 45 min in ultra sonic all passages clear. New seals and boot. I don’t know what else could possible be leaking or blocking fuel flow.
So after the bench cut report! FAILED!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m about to throw this thing across the shop! Pressure and vac tested perfect after I put new boot on and recessed the partition wall part of the crank cases. Taped Saran Wrap to the crank case sealing the crank from any chips and worked with a vacuum to pull chips while reliving that part so it wasn’t pushing up on the plastic of the partition wall. Tuned it and it idled fine for quite a while made several test cuts and boom all of a sudden it ran away in the cut just as hot and high as you please. Pretty sure i see streaks on the intake side through the exhaust port. New fuel line,filter, carb kit and carb run for 45 min in ultra sonic all passages clear. New seals and boot. I don’t know what else could possible be leaking or blocking fuel flow.
So after the bench cut report! FAILED!

What saw is it?

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you advance the timing? I had that happen on a 357 I had when the key broke when I didn’t torque the flywheel well enough.

Just an idea

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel for you. It’s frustrating.

Did you use the up dated 346 metal clamp or a 390 style clamp? I’ve wanted to swear off those saws dealing with intake clamps. I’ve had them clip securely immediately without any drama and then I’ve fought with them for 20 mins....

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure how the original post on this got posted twice, sorry mods.

Last edited:

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, now I’m really loosing it. It lost 1” vacuum over 10 min vac ready stayed same after rotating crank. Held pressure as well, 14 psi.

I know 1” loss does show a leak somewhere but holding.5 bar negative x10 Mins I don’t expect anything to hold that well. I think I’m going to go back through the carb and see what’s up there and double check everything.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
2:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
346 metal clamp. The boot itself is sealing its the part where the plastics impulse nipple goes into the rubber boot.

Them 346's can drive you crazy! Got one myself that on startup wants to run away but after a little bit shes cool.
Checked everything except the drum. Maybe its out of round until it heats up then clears the clutch? Dont know, but I know they can be finicky!!!

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, now I’m really loosing it. It lost 1” vacuum over 10 min vac ready stayed same after rotating crank. Held pressure as well, 14 psi.

I know 1” loss does show a leak somewhere but holding.5 bar negative x10 Mins I don’t expect anything to hold that well under vacuum that’s 14.7inhg .
I think I’m going to go back through the carb and see what’s up there and double check everything.

Edit
Im not sure why all my post are reposting when I go to a different page or refresh a page today.

Last edited:

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check that metal intake clamp, I have seen those leak on a rare occasion, 390 clamp is the ticket.
Clamped it with Honda bond, but somehow I missed where others have said to set the boot with none of the plastic parts on it at first. Going to try that. What carb do most recommend on this thing I have a c3el18 on it at the moment.

However I did have one “win” tonite!
288 HD elbow and filter bolted onto 2100 with a cramped out oem filter. Had to turn filter backwards as it would have rubbed the front of the cylinder cover facing forwards.

D12A67EE-EA1D-48E6-B25C-B34420D8BC7E.jpeg 114E59A5-C2FD-4DA5-9A5C-DB7683427468.jpeg
176685DE-70DC-4203-A8B4-10999DF08610.jpeg

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
2:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Clamped it with Honda bond, but somehow I missed where others have said to set the boot with none of the plastic parts on it at first. Going to try that. What carb do most recommend on this thing I have a c3el18 on it at the moment.

However I did have one “win” tonite!
288 HD elbow and filter bolted onto 2100 with a cramped out oem filter. Had to turn filter backwards as it would have rubbed the front of the cylinder cover facing forwards.

I prefer a hda198 or hda191 in the walbro, the Zama EL42 runs just as well though, and are generally reasonable on eBay, all those carbs were used at one point on the 357/359.

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alrighty, top end messed up pretty bad. Piston for 40 or new top end for 95 with no scratches and score marks.... went with the top end. Wish I had bought one while HL had them on sale earlier this week. Will get it all laid out timed and ported. Bottom end is not showing any leaks, but I am tired of playing games with it.
New pto bearing and ign seal from jacks coming and NTN for the ignition side. 357 filter elbow on the way as well.

The filter elbow does not have a wire clip, the clip for 346 and 357 both show the same wire clip part number but images show the extension you use to pull it off the filter face the opposite way. Will the 346 clip work or will it hit the top of the 357 filter?

Last edited: