What's on your bench?

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly correct. Factory was 9" on all 4. The 8/3/4" was from another A body but mostly a v8 car with 10" drums. My stock i think was a 7/1/4". That car was fun with the slant 6 too. Took a while to get there buut with a road gear she just hummed along at 100mph on the back roads. I think i kick myself more for scrapping the slant 6 over blowin the 440. Alot of guys r gettin big power out of those motors with little work and they r bullet proof
There is a local guy that has crazy build slant 6, $3500 billet crank 14.5-1 alcohol motor, the only weird thing with it is the flywheel comes loose on it, motor has been balanced twice to make sure it’s not that, but there is something weird with the harmonics or something! His is going turbo and has mechanical fuel injection he is in the 10’s with a 4 speed

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
6:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check your new oregon powercut 3/8 bars for burrs in the oiler holes guys. I just had to drill the holes on the ones I’ve gotten recently as they just plugged easily. I forgot the drill bit size but it was only slightly bigger than the hole. Just enough to remove the burr. I recommend reversing the drill bit a blip or two to get it seated, as it will snag and break the bit if you try forward right away. Debris was catching on the burrs... also the freezing weather conditions and frozen wood did not help flow of oil as it is already. After 10,000 ft or so on the fixed bar and turning up the oiler, the problem hasn’t returned yet. Blipping the saw before you let it sit overnight in freezing conditions helps too... so the debris doesn’t freeze in the oiler hole.

Last edited:

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check your new oregon powercut 3/8 bars for burrs in the oiler holes guys. I just had to drill the holes on the ones I’ve gotten recently as they just plugged easily. I forgot the drill bit size but it was only slightly bigger than the hole. Just enough to remove the burr. I recommend reversing the drill bit a blip or two to get it seated, as it will snag and break the bit if you try forward right away. Debris was catching on the burrs... also the freezing weather conditions and frozen wood did not help flow of oil as it is already. After 10,000 ft or so on the fixed bar and turning up the oiler, the problem hasn’t returned yet. Blipping the saw before you let it sit overnight in freezing conditions helps too... so the debris doesn’t freeze in the oiler hole.
Good info, I like to take the Dremel cut off wheels an make a slot in stead of the hole, makes a big difference

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Am i missing something? Wer is the intake at on that cylinder? Also i have no idea what a 8500 is.......

They already told you reed bottom.

Pics to try and show. 3 gen of the series 52 54 85. I learned just enough to buy and sell them. Not saws I keep. Strong saws though in the whole cc series.

8500 85cc I sold.

5400 85cc I sold and pic shared by new owner showing back of cylinder and carb etc.

Another showing under carb etc from pic I found online for ya.

p8500o.jpg p5400x.jpg p5400cyl.jpg p54cc.jpg p5400weight.jpg

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cleaning off the bench

Yea, I'm putting things away in preparation for my 2.5 months of tax season. Usually don't touch a saw during that period, but maybe this year is will get a little easier? The new laws are complex, but a lot fewer people will be itemizing.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
5:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They already told you reed bottom.

Pics to try and show. 3 gen of the series 52 54 85. I learned just enough to buy and sell them. Not saws I keep. Strong saws though in the whole cc series.

8500 85cc I sold.

5400 85cc I sold and pic shared by new owner showing back of cylinder and carb etc.

Another showing under carb etc from pic I found online for ya.

View attachment 160879 View attachment 160880 View attachment 160881 View attachment 160882 View attachment 160883
Thank u! Learn something new every day.
Its a reed valve saw. So its bottom feed through the case.
ditto!

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Picked this up for a wild thing today. Going to ship it to a guy on CR for his project.

I just happen to know a local I had rebuilt the carb for but replaced with H side carb.

h3120carb.jpg h3120carbb.jpg h3120ccarb.jpg

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Freshening up the 340->353 I built. Just going through it and making sure it is 110% squared away and getting new b/c as it will be sold shortly.

Last weekend I met up with the son of @Viper21 who is a Marine here local to me. Worked on the Husqy 440 he got second hand (and the MS271 that belongs to his buddy) and quickly established that little turd 440 isn’t going to work for what he wants to do. They were kind enough to feed me a couple beers and some dinner, so I did muff mods and tunes on their saws (I sharpened the chain on the 271 as well, old boy seems to be an aspiring rock carver). Sam fell in love with a 372 I just finished and he ran for a tank or so, but said its a little big for what he needs. So, I am going to hook him up with the “Bucked up” 353 for a pretty good price and get him set up with a solid, dependable saw that does what he needs it to do. He has a wife and child as well as some land that needs to be cleaned up (with a little hurricane damage) and he is close with a couple of his neighbors; so i know it will be put to good use. I was a Corporal once and I remember what it was like with money being tight (hell its tight now) so i’m giving him the saw, new b/c and spare chain for what I have into the saw for parts. Make sure the young lad is set up for success. He already told his neighbor that anything he needs will be handled.

BCCA4553-D03C-4CC5-950E-EB36C860603D.jpeg
image.jpg

@Viper21, the great man your boy has become speaks volumes. I am truly glad I got to meet him and his family and made sure he knows I am just a phone call away if they need anything. Good people and good neighbors. It doesn’t get much better than that.

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Freshening up the 340->353 I built. Just going through it and making sure it is 110% squared away and getting new b/c as it will be sold shortly.

Last weekend I met up with the son of @Viper21 who is a Marine here local to me. Worked on the Husqy 440 he got second hand (and the MS271 that belongs to his buddy) and quickly established that little turd 440 isn’t going to work for what he wants to do. They were kind enough to feed me a couple beers and some dinner, so I did muff mods and tunes on their saws (I sharpened the chain on the 271 as well, old boy seems to be an aspiring rock carver). Sam fell in love with a 372 I just finished and he ran for a tank or so, but said its a little big for what he needs. So, I am going to hook him up with the “Bucked up” 353 for a pretty good price and get him set up with a solid, dependable saw that does what he needs it to do. He has a wife and child as well as some land that needs to be cleaned up (with a little hurricane damage) and he is close with a couple of his neighbors; so i know it will be put to good use. I was a Corporal once and I remember what it was like with money being tight (hell its tight now) so i’m giving him the saw, new b/c and spare chain for what I have into the saw for parts. Make sure the young lad is set up for success. He already told his neighbor that anything he needs will be handled.

View attachment 160955
View attachment 160956

@Viper21, the great man your boy has become speaks volumes. I am truly glad I got to meet him and his family and made sure he knows I am just a phone call away if they need anything. Good people and good neighbors. It doesn’t get much better than that.
Damn man. You got all the hair standing up on the back of my neck, & was just about fighting back a little awesome from leaking out. I can't thank you enough for helping out my boy.

He has certainly brought me much joy, & pride over the years. He was my little buddy for a long time. It was tough watching him leave a few years ago. I get to see him the most, out of the 3 but, it's still not the same. I'm very proud of the man he's become, & that sassy little angel he's got, sure warms Papa's heart :)

You're a good man Buck. I'm gonna do my best to make a trip down there before you bounce. Like to buy you a beer, a steak, & chew some fat with ya.

Thanks again man !

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Damn man. You got all the hair standing up on the back of my neck, & was just about fighting back a little awesome from leaking out. I can't thank you enough for helping out my boy.

He has certainly brought me much joy, & pride over the years. He was my little buddy for a long time. It was tough watching him leave a few years ago. I get to see him the most, out of the 3 but, it's still not the same. I'm very proud of the man he's become, & that sassy little angel he's got, sure warms Papa's heart :)

You're a good man Buck. I'm gonna do my best to make a trip down there before you bounce. Like to buy you a beer, a steak, & chew some fat with ya.

Thanks again man !

Believe me, the pleasure was all mine. Just glad I could help. I am surehe will put the saw to good use for years to come.