JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
12:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear ya, when I first got married I had 3 Classic Stangs, 2 - 68 GT Fastbacks and a 70 Boss 302 Body, but no garage to keep them in. A few years later, the Stangs are all gone and I'm driving a 80 Pinto Station Wagon and haulin home wood in the back of it! (Was my first "new" car, only option was an AM radio!
LOL! Ya my dad had a bunch of cars back in the day thats how i got into it. He had a mint dart GTS(grand tour spalding) black 383/4 speed.....that he gutted and put a cage in. Just mention the car and he starts tearing up:D countless other dart and mustangs and was partners with a friend in a lift up funny car. Then we came along and he was reduced to a crown vic station wagon. Do believe it had a 302 in it though. Used to pull a 26' camper with it:eek:

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't feel bad, Sling Blade, could have filled the garage full of six cylinders that my buddies and I chit canned.
The only reason we put big blocks in everything was, there wasn't bigger ones to be had. Lol
LOL! That was the direction we went with my build. It is amazing how much room is in the bay to work on the motor with the 440 in it.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just the opposite in a Mustang, you put headers on a FE motor in a classic Stang, and you have to tell people they are there, cause they can't see em!

Used to be an all day job installing them. Remove one motor mount and tilt the engine, then the other, use an open end wrench and flip it each time you make it a bit tighter … what a PITA (good thing I was younger then). No wonder these Asian saws don't bother me much!

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah, the A body Mopars are legit. My Duster started with 318/518/7.25. Went to the 408/727/8.75, wasted 3 trans, 2 driveshafts and 4 rears before finally getting the right combo. Semi 4-link on Hemi spring packs, mini tubbed with the narrowed 8.75 with 4.30s and posi on 1350 u-joints. I swapped the front to 5 on 4.5 and big disc brakes, rear had a Ford disc brake setup, electric pump for the brakes, braided lines all 4 corners. Ultimate Convertor Concepts 2750 stall, custom drive shaft, 1 7/8 primary to 3” ceramic coated headers, 3” dual all the way back with Flowmasters. Digital dash insert, MSD Digital 6 ignition, trans cooler. Integrated cage with 5 points and a 20 gal cell in the trunk.

The wife used to drive it over to the Commissary on Parris Island to get groceries; pack them around the fuel cell in the trunk. Windows down, blond hair blowing out the window put-puting along on PI. That motor wouldn’t idle below 1,100 rpm, big fat lopey bastad, so just idling along at 20mph it sounded like a nasty big block drag car. I miss those days.

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Me too!!!!!! 1969 428 Cobra Jet 4 spd., 430 locker. Miss that car!!! Ford got out of racing in the 70's shut down there performance warehouse in Charlotte IIRC. Dad was a dealer I bought parts people don't even know about. Ex. Detroit lockers $15.00 in the crate, 12.5 : 1 forged poptop 428 pistons $2.00 ea., 2 4bbl alum intake 289 $10.00, you get the drift. Dad never understood why the parts bill was so high that month. Factory Ford headers for 66 Mustang (IIRC were Casler headers). I was restoring a 66 Mustang coupe @ the time. Bought lots of Stang parts too.
My little 5'3" wife was deathly afraid of that car hated to drive it.
Shep

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, the A body Mopars are legit. My Duster started with 318/518/7.25. Went to the 408/727/8.75, wasted 3 trans, 2 driveshafts and 4 rears before finally getting the right combo. Semi 4-link on Hemi spring packs, mini tubbed with the narrowed 8.75 with 4.30s and posi on 1350 u-joints. I swapped the front to 5 on 4.5 and big disc brakes, rear had a Ford disc brake setup, electric pump for the brakes, braided lines all 4 corners. Ultimate Convertor Concepts 2750 stall, custom drive shaft, 1 7/8 primary to 3” ceramic coated headers, 3” dual all the way back with Flowmasters. Digital dash insert, MSD Digital 6 ignition, trans cooler. Integrated cage with 5 points and a 20 gal cell in the trunk.

The wife used to drive it over to the Commissary on Parris Island to get groceries; pack them around the fuel cell in the trunk. Windows down, blond hair blowing out the window put-puting along on PI. That motor wouldn’t idle below 1,100 rpm, big fat lopey bastad, so just idling along at 20mph it sounded like a nasty big block drag car. I miss those days.
Yeah buddy u had her dialed in! I miss those days too. My buddy begged me to bring it to his wedding. We show up wreaking like 110 exhaust and my wife had ear plugs in:D the whole wedding party was waiting outside(guys anyways) for us to pull up. Lol! Mine was pretty pretty lopey but once warm it idled/shook nice. Idle around the same 1,050-1,100. Cold u had to pedal it a lil. Now u guys got me goin on this damn car. Tryin to sell it so i can play with chainsawso_O now im reliving the glory days:(

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cuda has been a long time project, balsted inside and out, sheetmetal replaced includes the quarter panels, trunk, trunk extensions, outer wheel well on driver's side, booth rear frame rails, rear valance, booth front floor boards, cowl, radiator support and driver's inner fender. Of course different doors, fenders, trunk and hood. I finally got the underneath painted and the engine bay probably 2 years ago, now it sits in my barn, lost interest and got to expensive to enjoy anymore, I found this place awhile before I gave up on it and have never found the desire again.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Im in the same boat. If i had the money back i put in that car.......well id have alot of money! Lol! And i didnt even finish it the way i would want to. It would be thousands and thousands more. Now i buy a ratty saw for $50 and rebuild it and im happier than a pig in s#!t! Think i have it sold to a local guy that way i can still see it when he dumps his money into it.
Cuda has been a long time project, balsted inside and out, sheetmetal replaced includes the quarter panels, trunk, trunk extensions, outer wheel well on driver's side, booth rear frame rails, rear valance, booth front floor boards, cowl, radiator support and driver's inner fender. Of course different doors, fenders, trunk and hood. I finally got the underneath painted and the engine bay probably 2 years ago, now it sits in my barn, lost interest and got to expensive to enjoy anymore, I found this place awhile before I gave up on it and have never found the desire again.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would love to do a classic FE block 67-70 Mustang or 66/67 Fairlane, but garage space, cost, registration, insurance, etc. … my newer Mustang is far more drivable … all year long, and has the performance and looks (plus better comfort, fuel mileage, reliablilty and handling) than in the past.

So, just like you guys, I now find more pleasure in doing the saws. Also, much shorter completion window helps a lot also.

Plus, I was always an engine guy, so all the body work needed on a car I would have to pay for … too much!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey, but at least I'm still driving a 550 Hp monster, with a stick (5 spd) and a Steeda Suspension to keep it in lane! Since it is a 2006, no payments, and about everything needed has been done to it: Whipple Twin Screw SC, Eagle Crank, Rods, Pistons (now 4.9 ltr from 4.6), Steeda suspension, adj pan hard bar, clutch, front rotors, wheels; Nitto Rubber, MGW shifter, Griggs Racing pumpkin cover, lower control arms, torque arm, Magnaflow hi flow cats and JBA mufflers. (did not like it with headers, and removed them, it lost low end torque/response with them).

It nicely bridges the gap between old and new for me, and currently it has Blizzack high performance tires to deal with the winter. It is driven almost daily, and really does have the feel of an old fashion built big block.

Some of the new Mustangs offer great performance, but I don't have to select a "mode" before I start driving, mine is still a vehicle that needs a driver who knows how to drive or you will get into trouble fast.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, did not know that. I'm running the hi performance version, this is my second set, second season with them. Have not had any trouble so far.

I'm currently running LM 32 RZ, do you know what model had trouble?