USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
2:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So are you cooking with the pellets only, or are you cooking with gas/propane and the pellets are just for smoke?
If cold smoking, the smokin' tube(s) only for however long the cold smoke is desired. If you want to interject 'smoking' into grilling on a gas or charcoal grill, then yes, the gas or charcoal for the normal heat source, adding the smokin' tube for the smoke effect. These things put out a lot of smoke...they work well. There are also smaller 6" versions of the smokin' tubes as well.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Smokin' Tubes...the end opposite of the open end is capped, fill the tube with smoking pellets then hit it with a small torch to get 'em going, once the fire is out and it's smoking, lay it in the bottom of the grill on the charcoal rack or even on the food rack, or can be used to supplement and add more smoke to an existing smoker with chip or chunk trays/holders. They come in square, round, oval or octagonal fashion...I prefer the square so it doesn't start rolling around on the grate when you're in and out of the grill/smoker. These things basically turn any grill whether gas or charcoal, into a smoker. With the 12" smokin' tube pictured above, loaded can get about 3-5 hrs of smoke time depending on outdoor temp, wind, etc out of it, then reload with pellets if necessary. Could probably use smoking chips packed pretty tight so they touch each other and still catch and smoke as well, just haven't tried any chips yet.

I aint smoked nuttin in tubes in a long time friend. :cool:
But I do love me some smoked meat. It's been so cold here I've had to break out the long-handles. :facepalm:

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My wife has been looking at pics of the bacon that Charlie, @amberg, has been making and has been bugging me to make some.
I explained the curing/cold smoke process and she showed up yesterday with these and a 20lb bag of Applewood pellets.
Time to get some cure and get busy.
View attachment 105759

Think you will like the tubes, work super for cold smoking bacon. Can't wait for the pics! Had 9 pieces of bacon this morning. Hmmm good!

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just seen this grill on sale at Home Depot for 1300.
Good price if that's the Genesis II LX E-640 you're referring to...jump on it. There is another lesser priced version of this grill that doesn't come with all the bells and whistles; lighted knobs/tilt sensor handle lights, has an open bottom vice enclosed bottom area with the two front doors and rear panel, electronic tank gauge, etc, etc that the Genesis II LX E-640 has. Not on sale the Genesis II LX E-640 version runs $1800-1900!

Last edited:

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
1:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good price if that's the LX II you're referring to...jump on it. There is another lesser priced version of this grill that doesn't come with all the bells and whistles, lighted knobs/tilt sensor handle lights, has an open bottom vice enclosed bottom area with the two front doors and rear panel, electronic tank gauge, etc, etc that the LX II has. Not on sale the LX II runs $1800-1900!

It was the same unit you have. I have the 3 burner model which is perfect for me and I just got it last summer.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was the same unit you have. I have the 3 burner model which is perfect for me and I just got it last summer.
I just pulled up my two local Home Depots...the Genesis II LX E-640 at both stores is $1899, whether in LP or Natural Gas version. That's a helluva deal if they lowered it to $1300. Even your Genesis II LX 3-burner is currently $1200. As well, the all-stainless versions of each of their models regardless of how many burners, always runs about a $100 more than the stainless/black versions.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put an 8lb Pork butt on the smoker a couple hours ago.
I'm using the 12" smoke tube exclusivery to provide smoke. So far, it's delivering the perfect amount. Been going for two hours now and is still supplying a steady supply of light smoke.
I think I'm going to like this thing.

Edit:
Here's a pic of the finished product. 10 hours at 230*.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm using the 12" smoke tube exclusivery to provide smoke. So far, it's delivering the perfect amount. Been going for two hours now and is still supplying a steady supply of light smoke.
Sounds good Steve. Would like to do something here today but it's been raining since sunup and ain't let up yet, and ain't gonna stop til late tonight.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds good Steve. Would like to do something here today but it's been raining since sunup and ain't let up yet, and ain't gonna stop til late tonight.
Well that certainly sucks!
You can do what my neighbor did. He has an enclosed patio. When it was really cold and windy, he wheeled his smoker into the porch, opened a couple windows and fired it up. I'm not sure if he'll ever get the smell out of there.
His wife was pissed.

I got almost five hours of smoke from the 12" tube, using a combination of Hickory and Apple pellets.
It's a lot less trouble than the silly wool chip trays and last longer.
For cold smoking, two tubes running simultaneously, should work great and a 40lb bag of pellets will last a long time.
I'll be ordering several other types of pellets and a couple more tubes.

Last edited:

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Here to! Wet! Snow Tomorrow. Don't think I like snow.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Edit:
Here's a pic of the finished product. 10 hours at 230*.

View attachment 109505

I am impressed! Damn that looks good!! I have never tried that yet. Looks like you did it right the first time! ( check pm )

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am impressed! Damn that looks good!! I have never tried that yet. Looks like you did it right the first time! ( check pm )
I don't know how many Pork butts I've cooked in my life but it's in the hundreds.
They're easy to prepare, hard to cook incorrectly and taste great. One of those cuts of meat where a lot of smoke is better.
I think you'd really like it.

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't know how many Pork butts I've cooked in my life but it's in the hundreds.
They're easy to prepare, hard to cook incorrectly and taste great. One of those cuts of meat where a lot of smoke is better.
I think you'd really like it.

I agree, as all of our shoulders were always put down in salt or ground into sausage, which I do love. As we never smoked one like that. They were always salted down then smoked in the meat house.