Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I found a link to some of the early days of Mc engines on karts .The second page shows about the same set up as Kenny Burden who was number one at least twice running three Mc 10's .I knew Kenny real well and ran around with his youngest brother whom are both deceased . https://vintagekarts.com/mcstory.htm

That was a good read!

bottlefed

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am 63 and had a few MC's back in my early teens. The MC6 was you basic starter engine (really foggy but I think they advertised around 4.7hp in most tests) the MC10 was a serious step up and of course the 101 was the pinnacle of the bunch.

Had an MC10 with dual carbs, pipe, port and compression on a "Greasemobile" which is a poor boys equivalent of a mini-bike made with a stingray frame with the seat tube hacked out and the rear frame legs spread to fit a mini-bike tire/wheel assy. Mine was made from a Schwinn Orange Crate with the girder front end, the thing was an absolute blast on pavement and would pull the front wheel at 40mph with ease.

The cart was an old Dart Cart with a 101 that came off a pavement cutter and was worked over by a neighbor who worked for MC as a design engineer, was supposed to make around 20hp but never saw it on a dyno.

Really neat project they were working on was a laydown triple 101 cart with a periscope for a LSR attempt.....The beltway was being built right behind my house (we used to ride stuff there all the time) and there was a talk of him testing it there but sadly it never happened as they moved, so I have no idea if the cart was ever completed or run.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mini bikes bring back memories .I had a bicycle frame with vintage go kart sized tires from believe or not a Maytag racer .Direct vee belt drive,no clutch .It would run flat out at 24 miles per hour with a lawnmower Briggs engine .
My younger brother took it step further with a regular mini frame and a 580 Westbend kart engine .We're talking about 70 miles per hour in a city block .That engine is residing in my shed with the saws as I type amidst a pile of Briggs engines that showed up like stray cats .

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bringing back memories … we used to make mini bikes by swapping the rear tire, u-bolting a plywood engine mount to the frame, and installing a horizontal shaft motor direct drive to the wheel. Mostly 4 cycle, but some 2 cycle. It was fun!

We would go around every year on "junk day" and find non running motors, swap parts, and make a runner!

Ironically, the fastest one on the block only had a 2.5 Hp motor, beat all the 3 and 3.5 Hp ones! Was owned by my friend who still has his 69 Chevelle.

shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I gotta laugh about it .They made a "wizzer " kit which was just a sheet metal pulley the bolted to the spokes of a "cruiser " type bicycle .Lawn mower engine and down the road you went at about 15 MPH .My mini would do 24 MPH ,a Vespa of course could out run it but a wizzer could not .One genius who wasn't smart enough to bypass the air vain governor on the Briggs engine decided to mix up rocket fuel .Got into another friends dads garage and borrowed a pinch of nitro his dad used for race fuel on a go kart .He might have added a bit too much mixing up a quart with hi test gasoline .It ran real good for about 3 minutes then it became a door stop or an anchor for a row boat .