heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The porting of the kart engines is much different than the porting of the saw engines, not even really close except the 44/55 Series which were real hot rods. $300 for the whole rig should be a good deal, the right vintage kart guy might pay that for the chassis leaving you the engine.

I had a Hellcat aluminum frame with a Mac 6, no clutch; the kind of rig that could get a teenager in trouble...

I have a pair of unmolested Mac 10's and a couple of 101's fit in saw chassis'.

DSCN3069.jpg
Dog 2.JPG
I need to find a different carburetor or two to make the 101 saws run right.

Mark

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
9:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The porting of the kart engines is much different than the porting of the saw engines, not even really close except the 44/55 Series which were real hot rods. $300 for the whole rig should be a good deal, the right vintage kart guy might pay that for the chassis leaving you the engine.

I had a Hellcat aluminum frame with a Mac 6, no clutch; the kind of rig that could get a teenager in trouble...

View attachment 140297
View attachment 140298

Mark
I see something else I like in that first picture! !

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 140297
View attachment 140298

Mark

Put a Tilly HR race carby on it and you will never mess with those stinkin flatbacks again.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve run it, and likely will again in 3 weeks.
I have two of them, both ripped down, just gotta do some repairs and find carburetors to get them back up and running. Going to try a different carb for the one saw to see if I can get it running.

The original carburetor seemed like total overkill, and the the vane governor might not be needed if a smaller carb is used. Just some redneck observations that I'm kicking around..

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone ever put one of these cart saws on a dyno? Im curious if they put out the ponys i think they would. Judging by the way they run and pull a long bar i suspect they would put up some good numbers close to if not more then 10-15hp is safe assumption wouldnt you think?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone ever put one of these cart saws on a dyno? Im curious if they put out the ponys i think they would. Judging by the way they run and pull a long bar i suspect they would put up some good numbers close to if not more then 10-15hp is safe assumption wouldnt you think?
The guy that I got my 101b from told me around 16-19hp on gasoline mix and near 30 on nitro.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ultra lite version was reported to be around 15 HP. If that's accurate or not who really knows ?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They made some rather huge HL's too .Kevin(cut for fun ) had one on a big Sachs-Dolmar 166 racer that you could drop a golf ball through it .

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So if I wanted to build a badazz Mac, I'd wanna go with a 101?

Lee, I was at the NY GTG in Greenwich and was hoping to get a a chance to run that big saw, but it went kaput before I had a chance.....

A pic I took of you running it when I was there....
20180422_112316.jpg

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
--and rather difficult to find for a reasonable price .My buddy Louie who was number two in the nation AKA back in the mid 70's has been on the look out for me for the last several years .He's still got his notes and port maps too .:thumbup:

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He must not be looking to hard Al. I have seen many for sale on ebay and
some not to badly priced. The last one I bought was NOS complete with
carb. It was under 6 bills.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found a link to some of the early days of Mc engines on karts .The second page shows about the same set up as Kenny Burden who was number one at least twice running three Mc 10's .I knew Kenny real well and ran around with his youngest brother whom are both deceased . https://vintagekarts.com/mcstory.htm