What would you do?

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I normally process about 25 cord but sometimes a little more. The stack is 150' long, 4 rows deep and 4'4" tall on pallets. This year I am about on track and have 110' of the 150' ranked in rounds to be split for when the snow gets deeper.

ohihc5.jpg

nc14js.jpg

2zi57ro.jpg

1ift7b.jpg

So............

The Country Club I belong to is taking out about 100 ash trees and I know the Superintendent and have dibs on the wood which will be bucked into 8' 4" logs and will be dumped on level ground next to the maintenance shop. I normally only take Red & White Oak and Hickory. This will be so easy and will be clean wood, not cable skidded and within 5 miles of my house.

Then........... Yesterday I met a landowner who had his land logged last year and he wants these pesky cull logs GONE! Even said he would help with his skid steer. The are very dirty and frozen right now. There is at least 10 cord I can have. But he alluded to the aprox 700 tops in the woods too. I don't have a means of dealing with the stuff in the woods but he does. He's a nice guy I did business with back in my working days.

2ldf537.jpg

Part of pile of dirty logs

2pqwf7n.jpg

jaua8o.jpg

This is a work truck after all:

rap6hi.jpg

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I normally hit the new road construction projects around here but they have been drying up lately. They pile and burn it all. It’s rather difficult as it normally has fence wire and all kinds of other trash in. The pile but wire cutters and the occasional push through the pile with the dozer from their crews makes pretty quick work of it.

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d take all I had room for! Hoard on.

Either use it yourself or store and sell what you can’t use but get what you can when the getting is good and you have room.

Nah I am just pimping you guys, I will do as much as I can. Never underestimate a retired guy with time on his hands and a bunch O chainsaws.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not saying you haul at log length. If you can get a semi load of quality stuff for a buyer. You might be able to get someone in to buy a load or two to recoup your expenses. And it’s not like your gonna run out any time soon. We have one company who is a smaller operation that will buy one truck load at a time. The other ones wanted a 10 load minimum.